Default When can I pull some eggs from a hive with a newly laying queen?

I have a hive with a newly laying queen(for maybe about a week) and one hive with no queen or brood. I would like to take out some eggs from the hive with the queen and put them in the queenless hive so they can raise a queen. I was planning on using this method from fat bee man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y64cKn4rLNM

So, how soon is too soon, to take out some eggs? I don't want to mess up the mojo of the new queen as she's all I have at this point. Also, how soon is too soon to check on the newly laying queen?

I don't want to take a whole frame of eggs as that would be too much to take from the queenright hive.
    Thanks!

Default Re: When can I pull some eggs from a hive with a newly laying queen?

Marcos I also pay attention to Don the that Bee man.

He showing you how to make lots of Queens! It sounds like you only need one more?

In this case I think you would be wasting too many eggs cutting a strip. I would recommend that you take a partially freshly laid frame and give it to your queenless hive has is. In less the comb is so old and too tough, they should make a Queen sell or more for you without wasting any eggs. IMHO

Good point. My only concern is how will that mess up my queen? I only have 1 frame of eggs.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Your new queen is limited only by how many bees there are to raise the brood. I would take the eggs now. She will lay up another frame of eggs in a day.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Well, how many nurse bees there are to tend to the brood, and how much comb she has available to lay in. If you take a frame of brood out and they haven't drawn up a spare frame to replace it with, you might be in trouble.

Are these nice big hives where there's plenty of comb to go around? If so, do what Michael says, do it now. If they're smaller hives where they're going to have to build up, might want to consider combining for the winter, then split them back out in the spring.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Well, I followed Michael's advice this AM and took out a frame of brood and replaced it with a spare blank frame of empty drawn comb.

This is a really struggling hive with not more than a few hundred bees. I am worried that even though I have a laying queen, the hive will die out b/c there aren't enough nurse bees and by the time the new workers hatch, the old workers life cycle will be coming to and end and b/c the queen is a new layer, there aren't any bees from the in between period.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-23-2013 at 03:58 AM.

It won't hurt the hive you took it from if you left the bees behind. The will just lay up the empty comb you gave them.

Hard to say how the struggling hive will do. It will depend on the fall flow and how soon the first hard freeze hits (if you have those where you are).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF