Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: How chancy is a walk away split w/queen? (thinking about next spring)

I should point out that while a walk away split in a flow has a high rate of success, in a dearth it has a very LOW success rate.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Default Re: How chancy is a walk away split w/queen? (thinking about next spring)

Yeah hilreal, I haven't gotten the hang of mite control yet. Being an organic type person, I get stuck on the chemicals part. I tried drone frames last summer but I don't think I caught the hatch at just the right time and probably made the problem worse. I'd like to try interrupting the brood cycle, next summer. Maybe even by making splits.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I should point out that while a walk away split in a flow has a high rate of success, in a dearth it has a very LOW success rate.
    Even if you continually feed?

>Even if you continually feed?

That helps. But the odds are still lower. There are also less drones available in a dearth as some get evicted.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

That brings up another question. Would it be a good idea to put syrup and maybe pollen patties on split hives to help them build up, like you would do with a new package?

I never put pollen substitute on anything and I never feed real pollen to a package. There is real pollen available. It's a waste and it only feeds the SHB. I don't feed syrup to a package unless the early blooms haven't happened yet. Once there is a supply of nectar coming in it's just a waste and plugs the brood nest when they need to be rearing brood.

But if it's a dearth, you may need to. Of course it's a tradeoff. Feeding tends to set off robbing.