Quote Originally Posted by xcugat View Post
I hear the "bond" method touted around but it is SO overly simplistic. All the "Method" is natural selection with no modifying factors --sure you can breed bees from ones that lived from last year ad infinitum, but that doesn't get to the matter at hand which is why they survived-maybe they had more food stores, maybe the queen was a young queen and there was a break in laying to slow down the mites, maybe the winter wasn't so bad etc. Left to nature alone evolution of any measurable sort takes many thousands of years
This is a misapprehension. Evolution works on every time scale. Specific to this issue, it works continuously in each generation through sexual recombination, allowing the 'best fitted' genes in every generation to make the bulk of the next.

By that method natural selection constantly updates, and retunes each population to its environment.

That basic understanding that sits at the foundation of all animal (and plant) husbandry (breeding).

Unless someone can take such techniques and have a clear MOP method of procedure you really do not know if the stock is really mite risistant or not.
The colony is more likely to have higher resistance the longer it has been there - so reliable witnesses are helpful. If no information is available it can be regarded as likely better resistant than any bought package or treating apiary swarm, on this basis: package bees and apiary swarms - especially commercial apairy swarms are likely to be as low in resistance as it is possible to get.

That's the outcome of systematic treating.

That combined with dealing with only small numbers of hives does not take into account other abnomalities/ reasons for survival including those outlined above.
It doesn't matter what the reason for survival is - if you have 'survivor' bees you have first class stock for beginning a breeding program. They wouldn't be surviving if they weren't mite resistant to a valuable degree.

I would be interested to read about anyone doing larger scale studies out there
You could begin by following up the links from the links page on my website, url below.

Mike (UK)