Hybrid View

Default Fifty years in house - treatment-free (This isn't supposed to be possible)

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

Default Re: Fifty years in house - treatment-free (This isn't supposed to be possible)

Ah, this should be in the swarm/cut out forum, unless you care to post something that ties it to this forum.
    Regards, Barry

Default Re: Fifty years in house - treatment-free (This isn't supposed to be possible)

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Ah, this should be in the swarm/cut out forum, unless you care to post something that ties it to this forum.
    Barry, the guy doing the cut-out is constantly talking about the bees being there treatment-free for fifty years.

He didn't even see any mites.

I'm confused as to how that doesn't pertain to this forum on treatment-free bee keeping?

So what's the point? What are you wanting us to take away from this video?
    Regards, Barry

Cutouts are a good source of treatment free bees.

What else?

We should be keeping our bees inside wall structures?
    Regards, Barry

Took out a monster hive this spring....the owner claimed they had been there 5-10 years. I thought wow....treatment free....and they certainly were. However, he also said some years they would leave for a while, and then come back. Point is hives die...swarms move in. Were these bees in the video, truly from 50 years of the same lineage?

Let's not forget the microbiota hypothesis.

It's the stuff growing on the comb that can be important.

That's what treatments might be destroying.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Let's not forget the microbiota hypothesis.

It's the stuff growing on the comb that can be important.

That's what treatments might be destroying.

There are a lot of assumptions already being made. The stuff growing on the comb? The comb the grandfather would cut out every year and melt on his stove? 50 years goes quite a ways before varroa. No one can say how many times the bees died or swarmed and a new colony moved in. Likely. So now take these bees out of the wall and hive them. You think they will live even 20 years? You might n ot be able to take a colony like this and expect to see the same results in a Lang hive.
    Regards, Barry

Barry:

I understand your point.

However, until I actually tested different honeys from around the world by using them to inoculate syrup and milk, no one would have believed that they would have had differing properties. Some demonstrated homo lacto fermentation, others hetero (gas!).

Even the honey from a cutout could have value as an inoculate.

It's alive!.

Everything from this kind of a cutout is important to TFB.

We have a federal mandate to develop resistant stocks of Honeybees.

Where do you think they're going to come from?

Why aren't we supporting the individuals doing these cutouts, trapouts, and swarm removals as true Conservationists?

In my opinion, they're the most likely source of resistant stock that we can find. Contact them, give them your number, and your price.

Especially if you're a TFBer.

They belong here on the TFB forum.

WLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntingstoneboy View Post
    Took out a monster hive this spring....the owner claimed they had been there 5-10 years. I thought wow....treatment free....and they certainly were. However, he also said some years they would leave for a while, and then come back. Point is hives die...swarms move in. Were these bees in the video, truly from 50 years of the same lineage?
    It's doubtful they are exactly descendant from the queen that was in there 50 years ago. That may be the point that some people take but I don't. The issue is the cavity has maintained bees relatively consistently that long.

They've just managed to do all the things a bee keeper should keep an eye on and possibly do, but they've done it all on their own.

Hives get over thrown at times and the queen gets replaced by a swarm queen. I've seen it twice so no tellin how many times it happens and people never know. Because all you see is bees going in and out of a hole.

If somebody had about 10 hives spaced moderately apart and did nothing to them but maintain the woodenware. They could probably replicate this. When the strong ones swarm in the spring they would take over and clean out the weak and history repeats.
    Don't laugh it's paid for. -- Manure draws more flies than honey.

To what purpose? To have bees? If all you want to do is have bees, not do the keepiong that keeping bees is all about, then leave it to the environment/Mother Nature to keep the bees in your area. People keep bees in boxes to interact w/ them. To have them for their own benefits, just like people have sheep or cattle.

I don't know if there is anything special about the bees in that house. No one should assume there is or isn't. Just because they occupy the same cavity that other bees have before means little about them themselves. Mostly it means that it is an attractive location. One that bees prefer. Shucks, there is plenty there to attract a new swarm.

I have bees in the maple tree in my front yard and bees in the wall of my house. Those cavities have been occupied many years since I have lived here. Maybe before I lived here. But I know where the current residents came from. I saw the swarm move in. I know how many years the have been vacant.

If you find a colony in the side of a house cut them out and see what they do for you. But don't get blown away by the fact that bees have occupied a space for many years. It doesn't necessarily mean as much as you might think.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Maybe heating one side of the hive all winter is the trick...

sqkcrk is exactly correct.. however I would like to try some of those nice black bees there is always some chance that they are great. I also know they would be real ify as far north as mark and myself are.

Well, I had bees living in the walls of one of my unheated dairy barns for 20+/- continuous years.

They were always there, and they were there as late as December 2012.

This spring there were none, in any of the three distinct cavities they had long occupied.

Broke my heart, as I knew bees were under stress for the last couple of years, but I was too preoccupied with other stuff to figure out how to care for them.

I was thrilled to discover that first two new swarms, and then a third one, reoccupied the cavities in June. They were cutout and now they live in their hives where I have a better chance to help them out, if necessary.

(Just in case, though, I'm putting the siding back on with screws, not nails.)

Although my old bees appeared to be doing well, for years, it's possible that as a non-beekeeper I missed previous die-offs and then re-occupation by new swarms. I doubt I would have noticed that as I didn't understand the bee-biology.

When we did the cutout there were no masses of dead bees or diseased-ridden combs visible, either. The insides of the wall cavities were filled with enormous quantities of capped honey comb. I have no idea what happened to the old bees.

The new bees (the ones now in my hives) would have appeared to a casual observer to be the same bees as last year, but they are not. They were fresh swarms this year, from who knows where. They are slightly smaller than most local (hived) honey bees that I see in nearby bee yards. I have no idea if they are ferals, or just ordinary reproductive swarms.

Only time will tell if this is an improved situation for them. However I know I am enjoying caring for them.

Enj.

Works for me, its where I get most of my bees. the only hives I have had mite problems with have been the ones I have paid money for. Each to their own....
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Hope for him he found the Queen,
    Thank You for sharing this video clip