Default Logistic issue- moving hives

Hi guys,

me and my brother are new in this beautiful field and we have how 10 hives. We are considering to increase the number of hives, but obviously we will have a logistic issue. Therefore please let me know, how you are moving the hives from point A to B. What devices you are using? A crane mounted on a pick-up? a special designed tool? Some pictures will be great also.

Maybe a PM with companies that are selling this kind of equipment, although it will be a little bit hard to import it in Europe, where we are located.

Thank you a lot,
    Adrian

Default Re: Logistic issue- moving hives

How many do you have to move?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Next year, we are planning to have 150. We are looking to find a balance between the time spent to move them and money invested in the equipment.

Do you have a flatbed truck? How about a trailer? I went a long time w/ a pickup truck working a couple of hundred hives, alone. I moved up to a Dodge 1 ton truck w/ a flatbed which I loaded alone, stacking hives two high. Seems like the two of you might be able to do something like that too.

Two people can pick up hives rather easily if the boxes are stapled together w/ hive staples. I've helped to load semis that way. Four hundred plus hives.

Now, still working mostly alone I use a skidsteer loader, a trailer, and an F-450 Superduty Deisel Truck.
    Mark Berninghausen

first of all, thank you for your fast reply

We are planning to buy a flatbed truck. I'm thinking to do as less physical load as I can to protect my spine. I helped a friend to move 50 hives, loading them manually into a truck and after that I had terrible back pains. That is why I'm thinking to make the moving part as much easier as I can.

Can you afford a small skidsteer loader to pull behind your truck on a trailer? You only need one that can lift 4 hives at a time if you use 4-way pallets. Something that would lift less than 600 lbs.

You'd be better off w/ a machine that could lift more, but that would be the minimum if choice and money is limited.

You could also install a boom on your truck deck and build bottom boards that you can get a fork under to grab and lift the hives. You'd do good to have an electronic lift that you could operate via a cable w/ a hand control.

I don't know what your terrain is like, but you could use a big wheeled hand cart and a ramp.

Can't really recommend makes and models. Maybe others can.
    Mark Berninghausen

You could try watching a few of this companies youtube clips, they have lots of machines and they are in Europe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUXALYRAEgA
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-22-2013 at 06:42 PM.

thank you a lot for your solutions.

I try to move nucs when I can to new yards.

For a few hives, I move them in the back of my minivan (with the seats removed). For a lot I have a small flatbed trailer that I pull behind the minivan.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF