Default Confused why do they leave......

For Three years I have started a hive with a box of bees. For three years now they have swarmed the last week of July ugg……I have read several books all of witch suggest bees don’t normally swarm the first year….Every year has been the same its like déjà vu. All three times they started strong. I have started with a deep, when the deep is half to ¾ full of comb I add another deep. When that deep is half to ¾ I add a med for a super…. The bees fill Two frames with honey in the super, then they swarm and the new queen does not get successfully bred….. This is becoming very frustrating when a box of bees is 85 bucks…….. Any suggestions and help would be great……

Default Re: Confused why do they leave......

I was told to always start with two hives so you can rob one to save/help the other! If you had two different breeds then your new queen should have hybrid vigor. IMHO

Also I started with two hives, just did a cutout that brought me to three. Today your swarm made it to my bee yard here in California so now I'll have four (if they stay)!!!

I've been using a queen excluder and using this Demaree swarm prevention method. Provided you check for queen cells and rotate the frames you should be able to prevent swarms. Just keep opening the brood chamber up every couple of weeks by moving brood up above the excluder and putting open comb down below for the queen to have room to lay in. They will build queen cells above the brood chamber but you can use them for splits or crush them. I hope this helps.

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=...8&fr=yfp-t-644

a queen is less likely to swarm in the first year. not all boxes have a queen born the year you buy them.
    what swarm control methods do you use ?

You need to make sure there is always room in the broodnest for the queen to lay eggs to prevent swarming. The bees may not consider space above capped honey as part of their hive.

Have a look at http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...arm-Prevention