Thread: Queen is gone

Default Queen is gone

So Im a new beekeeper this is my second year. I have 2 hives this one was a swarm that I caught last summer. We made it through the winter fine but the hive swarmed some time this summer. Since the old queen left I had 5 queen cells but none returned and started laying. I put a frame of eggs and very small larve in and they made another 2 queen cells and still no queen. Is there anything I can do this late? There is still a lot off bees and honey but I dont know what to do to save them at this point. I can try the brood again, or is there someway to buy a queen this late?
    Thanks

Thumbs Up Re: Queen is gone

[QUOTE=P. I can try the brood again, or is there someway to buy a queen this late?
    Thanks[/QUOTE]

This late in the season I would buy a queen. Lots of places are still selling queens. A lot of beeks re-queen in September. Walter T. Kelly still has queens, and many other breeders produce queens through September. Check the net and you will find queens.

Default Re: Queen is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Bill91143 View Post
    This late in the season I would buy a queen. Lots of places are still selling queens. A lot of beeks re-queen in September. Walter T. Kelly still has queens, and many other breeders produce queens through September. Check the net and you will find queens.
    Thanks I will call Kelleys tomorrow.

Default Re: Queen is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Psyop View Post
    So Im a new beekeeper this is my second year. I have 2 hives this one was a swarm that I caught last summer. We made it through the winter fine but the hive swarmed some time this summer. Since the old queen left I had 5 queen cells but none returned and started laying. I put a frame of eggs and very small larve in and they made another 2 queen cells and still no queen. Is there anything I can do this late? There is still a lot off bees and honey but I dont know what to do to save them at this point. I can try the brood again, or is there someway to buy a queen this late?
    Thanks
    I've been getting mine from Old Sols in Oregon.A little pricey ( $28 + shipping) but they seem to be really good queens plus you don't have to pay them anything up front. Order online or by phone and pay when you get the bees. And it doesn't take long to get them.