Hybrid View

Default I belive this is robbery. video.

I heard lots of buzzing, saw bees streaming out of the box and thought they were getting ready to swarm. I had to suit up as they were coming at me from 40 ft. away. Upon further review, saw lots of clumps of fighting bees on ground in front of hive, more on the deck. Very noisy, very irritated. I put the reducer on, then turned it to close off the entrance to 1". two hives on either side of this one little to no affect. Log hive only 6 ft. away are hanging out bearding.

Default Re: I belive this is robbery. video.

This was occurring at sundown. I checked on them again 1 hour later, the reducer did the trick for now, or nightfall did it. Lots of bees on the bottom of the SBB. I won't take the reducer off until tomorrow and even then keep it at 4".

It sure looked like a good sized, peaceful orientation flight event happening at first, then all hell broke loose when they couldn't get back into the hive they just oriented to. I didn't notice fighting on the ground until the chaos erupted (a few missed landings as expected). JMO!

Hello BIM, thanks for the response. I've seen orientation flights before, right out in front of the hive, nice circular pattern of flight, usually 2 or 3 in the afternoon. And I don't hear them so much. This is at 7:30 pm (sunset here), and the sound was very loud even from a distance. Lots of bees up 15 to 20' in the air over the hive, lots more on ground in front balled up. The wife and I had to suit up as they were aggressively coming at us even 20 ft. away. They got the dog, he ran away with his tail protecting what dog-hood he has left. After close observation, I saw bees dragging dead bees to top of hive, then dropping them. More bees on ground wrapped up fighting. It was after all this noise and confusion that I put the reducer on. Then I shot the vid. I have a vid before I put the reducer on, but it came out sideways for some reason, so I didn't post it.

I know I've cried wolf before thinking a hive was getting robbed. I guess for me anyway it's one of the toughest things to determine if it is, or if it isn't. I'd hate to discount robbing for orientation and lose a hive. I also have watched orientation up close, no suit. There's no way I would have done that this evening, before or after the reducer went on. Something was definitely different.

Neighbors have bees maybe they're not happy at home, and we just moved in a new log hive, although I'm pretty sure it isn't them. They have their own issues to deal with.

Also tonight I see lots of bees going into our shed where I have spare supers stacked. These have frames in them, no foundation. The top box has an entry hole drilled in it, they were going in and out of there really checking this thing out. Almost like a swarm (scout bees) looking for a place to go.

Of course it's hard to observe in a couple video clips...no matter what, you did what you believe to be right for your girls. That is the most important thing! Ahhh, to have all the answers, all the time, huh? Like you say, maybe there was a swarm trying to move in or something. It will be interesting to know what you find tomorrow! Good luck!! Keep us posted!

looked like a swarming to me especially how they come out and up the front of the hive before taking off.

Sometimes a swarm will come from a hive and fly around for a bit then go back in again.

Have you looked in your hive for swarmcells?