Thread: Honey Flow

Default Honey Flow

Hi,
    I see continual references to "honey flow" being "on" etc. It is pretty obvious what this means, but I am curious. How do you KNOW when it is on or off. Is it by date? Behavior of the bees? something else?
    I would really like to be able to tell.

Default Re: Honey Flow

When you see fresh, new, white wax being made, there is a flow. It would be hard to put a specific date on when it will start as it all depends on the weather - this year was earlier than last. Around here, when dandelions begin to bloom, I know that our flow isn't too far behind.

Here is how I can always tell a flow is on. Look around, you will notice the plants in bloom. Notice the bees bringing in loads and loads of pollen. Will notice an increase in brood rearing. Will see empty comb filling up with nector, and the bees will be in a good mood.

tristan,
    There are only 2 flows here where I live, one in the spring and one in the fall. The spring flow is the big one and will start somewhere around the middle of April to the first part of May and lasts till June, you will see bees coming in loaded with pollen and quickly filling up the cells with honey and drawing comb. They will have there legs slung forward to counter the load of nectar they are carrying.

The fall flow is smaller but you will not see much comb building if any, the bees are in winter preperation mode and will be backfilling all available comb in the brood nest. The bees will be bringing in pollen and nectar the same way as they did in the spring. The added bonus in the fall is that if you are in an area where goldenrod grows you can smell it coming from the hives, when you smell it the flow is on and when you stop smelling it the flow is over. The fall flow usually begins mid August and ends near the end of September.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Thanks for the information. I will keep my eyes peeled for those signs. If anyone in central California is out there with knowledge of when to expect the honey flows (Stockton/Manteca) area, I would be grateful!

Hey, Go to an auction and buy an old platform scale. Put a hive on it and never wonder again. It is fun to monitor. No one seems to bid on them around here so go cheap.