Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Bulk Sugar

17K views 35 replies 20 participants last post by  Waterbird17 
#1 ·
I need to buy 5-6,000 lbs of sugar. Anybody know where I can get it for cheap? I bought 5,000 lbs last year for .40/lb from United Sugars; it came in 50# bags, 2500# per pallet.

Thanks in advance!
Chip

#5 ·
Only 800 and 6,000 lbs won't even make a gallon for each hive. Heavy syrup is about 12 lbs per gallon so 6,000 lbs would need 3,000 lbs of water at a 2:1 ratio for heavy syrup. 9,000/12 will make 750 gallons. A little short of what I need but I have already have 3,000 lbs in the warehouse

#15 ·
i would also like to feed sugar this fall and winter because i think they like the sugar more and do way better on it. are you worried about putting on enough weight with sugar. i hear it stimulates them so much they eat it so fast and never retain weight. i dont want to have to go to texas twice a month to feed sugar. please let us know where you end up buying your sugar from. thanks....

i emailed that dipure sweetners once and they responded with a order form. then i tried to send a email putting in a order and never heard anything again. good luck

hey rainsridge. if i sent a truck to you would you put the sugar on???

#19 ·
I wound up buying 7,500 lbs from D&I Sweeteners but they can ship through Mann Lake if you don't want to send a truck. Chris Cruse (877-879-4195) was the person I dealt with. 0.35 per pound and shipping would vary depending on where you need it delivered.

I've fed heavy syrup the past 2 falls and have been pleased with the results. They gained weight but I fed heaviest just before they cluster. I ship to a colleague in CA who takes care of them through almonds and oranges. He feeds syrup and pollen patties.

#24 ·
Why do I use citric acid?

I use 2 cup of citric acid per heated 300 gal tote of syrup to break the sucrose into glucose and fructose. I add in some snake oil and the syrup stores forever without crystalizing or fermenting.

Gen rule. is 1 teaspoon per 5 gal syrup.

#35 ·
I don't have the link handy but we asked Rogers sugar about this. The initial response was that once refined, a lab cannot distinguish them chemically. When pressed farther, they did tell us how to differentiate sugar from the tabor plant (beets) vs from Vancouver (cane) by referencing lot numbers on the bags. They did conceded that most farmers are growing gmo beets, but the processor can't tell if any specific delivery of beets is gmo or not.

#34 ·
>Is there a difference in the sugar from beets versus cane?

Here is the opinion of Cargill, who sells both beet and cane sugar:
And, both cane sugar and beet sugar are refined until they are 99.9%+ sucrose. While the impurities and minerals in cane sugar and beet sugar can differ slightly, the fact is those impurity levels are so low (<0.1%) there is almost no functional or sensorial difference between sugar that comes from cane or beet. Once they are refined to sucrose, they are typically interchangeable.

http://www.cargillfoods.com/na/en/p...ar/market-knowledge/beet-cane-sugar/index.jsp
Some people object to beet sugar as they believe that it may be grown as a GMO crop, and is therefore to be avoided.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.