Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk Sugar

Smile Bulk Sugar

I need to buy 5-6,000 lbs of sugar. Anybody know where I can get it for cheap? I bought 5,000 lbs last year for .40/lb from United Sugars; it came in 50# bags, 2500# per pallet.

Thanks in advance!
    Chip

Default Re: Bulk Sugar

WOW Isn't that expensive for bulk? I buy 4lb bags at Ruler Foods for .89 a bag...............Granted they have a 10 bag a day limit so that wouldn't do you any good.

Harley, that was last years price.......lot cheaper this year....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Euliss View Post
    I need to buy 5-6,000 lbs of sugar. Anybody know where I can get it for cheap? I bought 5,000 lbs last year for .40/lb from United Sugars; it came in 50# bags, 2500# per pallet.

Thanks in advance!
    Chip
    Chip, are you feeding bees with that much sugar? I'm trying to envision how many hives that would be for..

Only 800 and 6,000 lbs won't even make a gallon for each hive. Heavy syrup is about 12 lbs per gallon so 6,000 lbs would need 3,000 lbs of water at a 2:1 ratio for heavy syrup. 9,000/12 will make 750 gallons. A little short of what I need but I have already have 3,000 lbs in the warehouse
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbin View Post
    Chip, are you feeding bees with that much sugar? I'm trying to envision how many hives that would be for..

"Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

As an employee of michigan sugar, i can only suggest michigan sugar.. It is hands down the best sugar in the world.. How do i know you ask? Because i made it

I heard you can get sugar in 50lb bags from Mann Lake for around .35lb might be worth checking out.

Thanks. I emailed Mann Lake and the place Riskybizz suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanger View Post
    As an employee of michigan sugar, i can only suggest michigan sugar.. It is hands down the best sugar in the world.. How do i know you ask? Because i made it
    Stanger, I tried to send an email to Michigan Sugar but it bounced. Who might I contact for a quote? Thanks, Chip

Costco?

I checked Costco last weekend and they were priced at $8.59 for 25# or $0.3436 per pound.

Why dont you get syrup from Dakota Gunness. They are located in Abercrombie ND.

I think the corn was cheaper than sucrose.

Used to feed syrup but I feel the bees do best on sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip Euliss View Post
    Used to feed syrup but I feel the bees do best on sugar.
    i would also like to feed sugar this fall and winter because i think they like the sugar more and do way better on it. are you worried about putting on enough weight with sugar. i hear it stimulates them so much they eat it so fast and never retain weight. i dont want to have to go to texas twice a month to feed sugar. please let us know where you end up buying your sugar from. thanks....

i emailed that dipure sweetners once and they responded with a order form. then i tried to send a email putting in a order and never heard anything again. good luck

hey rainsridge. if i sent a truck to you would you put the sugar on???

I get mine from The amalgamated sugar co(aka white satin) in ID. They might have a location in Dakotas. Call them and ask.

Sucrose syrup is also available from D. gunness. It's not as cost effective as mixing your own but not everyone likes to mix.

Quote Originally Posted by mnbeekeeper View Post
    i would also like to feed sugar this fall and winter because i think they like the sugar more and do way better on it. are you worried about putting on enough weight with sugar. i hear it stimulates them so much they eat it so fast and never retain weight.
    Last fall I put on weight with sugar. We made a syrup 66% solid. Used hot water and heated it up as close to boiling as we could and dumped in some citric acid. The syrup would turn clear just like fructose. Pumped them 3 gal sucrose instead of 2 gal 77% fructose and they were heavy. Shipping them that winter became a real task with all the weight.

Why do you put citric in your syrup and how much? Thx!

I wound up buying 7,500 lbs from D&I Sweeteners but they can ship through Mann Lake if you don't want to send a truck. Chris Cruse (877-879-4195) was the person I dealt with. 0.35 per pound and shipping would vary depending on where you need it delivered.

I've fed heavy syrup the past 2 falls and have been pleased with the results. They gained weight but I fed heaviest just before they cluster. I ship to a colleague in CA who takes care of them through almonds and oranges. He feeds syrup and pollen patties.

just went to Costco 17.47 I think per 50 lb bag

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast