Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: nail them or screw them

I use alkyd primer, latex finish coats, but it doesn't matter what you use on nail heads, if there is soft iron exposed for any significant time, they will rust through. The zinc is a galvanic protector -- the electrical current produced by the presence of the zinc in contact with the iron corrodes the zinc and keeps the iron oxidation free so long as there is metallic zinc left on the nail somewhere.

Oil base paint will usually last longer, but it's getting hard to find these days.

Peter

Here's my story.
    Put up a section of privacy fence once and used galvanised deck screws. Within 2 years, many had rusted and broken off. I refastened with galvanised ring-shank nails and 20 years later they are still working.
    Newer style deck screws are certainly better, but don't hold better than the proper nail, and screws cost more.

Hot dipped Galv. nails and Waterproof glue. All from here on Beesource. Will report back in 20? years! I do break (round off) the corners and use various paints, undercoating first.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

With just glue and nails ours warped. With glue, nails and a screw at the top and bottom of eac join they have been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    Nails are adequate without glue, screws are probably better, and with glue nails are plenty.
    Just nailing is not enough, unless you don't care about the quality of your boxes. The boxes will loosen within a few years and become very loose and sloppy. Nails provide the clamping pressure to create a good glue joint. A good high quality glue (titebond 2 or 3) and nails is all you need. If you screw glueing is probably not necessary.

Its important to use a good exterior paint, atleast 2 coats with primer (really like duramaxx). And to fill in and cover the finerjoints and nail heads. I make sure all nail heads are contersunk below surface.