Thread: Propolis Traps

Default Propolis Traps

I am looking to expanding to medicinal hive products with my bees and I am especially focused on propolis. I have seen 'traps' people place on tops of hives, then remove the outer cover, and allow bees to cover the trap, you then remove, freeze and viola! clean propolis! I am wondering if anyone has any feedback on these contraptions?

I was thinking of building my own from a wood frame with screen stapled in. Is there an ideal flow, or tree forage that I should be looking for?

Default Re: Propolis Traps

You just need a piece of screen door screen cut to the size of the hive. You do NOT want it on a frame as the usual (and simplest) harvest method is to roll it up and put it in the freezer. Then unroll while frozen (in a container like a plastic bag) and it all pops right off. They gather the most in the late summer and fall (like now). Most comes from the buds of poplar trees (the whole family from cottonwoods to aspen...)
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks, that sounds worth experimenting with this season... except I have nucs on my big hives??

I have a few hives I could try. Are my only concerns to make it robbing tight? There is no chance of rain where I am.

Light is helpful to get them to propolize more quickly, but it's not necessary. Just using window screen like as an inner cover is sufficient and that is still pretty robber proof. But if you let some light in it will speed things up. A plexiglass cover with a brick at each end and a telescopic on top of that for shade would work well, I suppose...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF