Default Bochet - Burnt Honey Mead

Friday we went to our local brew your own shop in Frederick, the Flying Barrel. They let us use their beer brewing kettles, 25 gal each to caramelize 5 gal of knotweed honey and 4 gal of Brand X processed honey. Even in a 25 gallon kettle the honey tried to get over the top. It took about 4 hours of patience, we didnt want to burn burn it just toast it really well. People came in from the neighborhood to see what that wonderful smell was. Even a couple professional brewers stopped by for a taste, maybe we got them interested in a new way to use honey in their brews.

After the water boiled off we got dark gray smoke and stopped as the honey turned black. We could have gone further to puffing pure black smoke, but they werent my kettles and I would have had to clean them all night if stuff got stuck to them. It tastes like deep rich caramel with perfectly toasted (Not Burnt) marshmallow in the back. We are comparing a raw honey to the processed honey to see if there is a difference, to see if it makes any sense to use the highest quality raw honey vs the processed honey. After cooking and cooling they both tasted very good, but, the raw knotweed honey was a little more delicious, I think enough to make it worthwhile to use the best honey even when burning it. Will update in 2014 to how the meads turned out. WVMJ
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking

Default Re: Bochet - Burnt Honey Mead

My mouth is watering just thinking about it....

Sounds fantastic;

Went all the way to that "tree pitch" color eh? Lol
    Ever tried one to the 'Red' stage?

I'll have to burn-one-black, if I have any honey left after my batches, to see what this 'marshmellow' note is all about.

Brochets are nice but dangerous!!! Carmelizing that much honey is scarry and requires constant observation. I carmelized for about 1:30 hrs to a nice medium brown.

What yeast did you use? I used wyeast sweat meade, very happy with results. The 1-yr meade was a hit with the club and friends.

The batch I vaguely covered here was only a quart of honey & it frothed up pretty well; you just need to do the boil in a pot that is 5-7x the amount of honey being boiled, and stir it rather constantly.

Adding water to dilute at the end can be tricky as well, you need to add hot/almost boiling water to keep the molten honey from spitting at you for that first addition, then you can step the temp down.

I used EC-1118 because it was a small experiment in a larger endeavor, and I wanted to use a rather neutral-profile yeast

Hey Deezil, not sure what tree pitch color is, sounds light, ours is black, just not "I dropped my marshmallow in the fire" black, well past the red stage. We wore protective gear when adding the water back. Found a new idea for a big cooker but have to give it a try before writing about it plus the wife just ordered a new and much better pressure cooker so we have to try that one out again. WVMJ
    Meadmaking with WVMJ at Meads and Elderberry Winemaking