Default Need help identifying this ..

photo (1).jpgHi.
    I've seen a couple of these around the feeder the last couple of days and hope someone can help identify it. I think this might be a new secret weapon against the dreaded small hive beetles. Ha ha
    Last edited by seapro220; 08-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Default Re: Need help identifying this ..

Japanese hornet is what we always knew em as, dont know what they think about shb, but know they love to eat and feed thier young Honneybees. Get rid of em. G

are there 'baits' for them? they were more interested in drinking the sugar water - and leaving the bees alone.

Ive seen em snatch bees taking off of the landing board and go to a nearby limb and dismember and eat them. They are hateful, and if you get stung by one, wow, what a thrill. In my opinion makes any other sting feel like a massage. Some of the old timers around here talk of a bucket with some oily substance in it, with a light over the top. At night they hit the light then drop into the bucket. Im afraid I would lose straggling foragers to the light. Luckily for me there is a very small population of them this year here. They mostly live in hollows of dying trees from my experience, best thing to do is track em down and kill them at home. Good Luck. G

Well, I got 1 single..and a home run tonight. will kill them every chance I see them. thanks.

single.jpg

Just your every day European Hornet. There are no Japanese Hornets here....most likely.

Ok Jrg, european, they still kill honeybees right?

Nice shot Seapro, keep it up. Everytime you are at the mound and see one, envision A-Rod, and Plink him.

Oh trust me, you would freaking know if that was a Japanese hornet. The things can grow almost to the length of your palm and shoot venom at you that will dissolve flesh.

There's a reason all japanese video games have hornet enemies.

And yes, they will still eat honey bees. Bees get their protein from pollen. Wasps get their protein from whatever bug they can catch. Find the nest if you can, and hit it with some Raid hornet spray. I went through an entire can of the stuff this last weekend in the separate garage.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_crabro

They love to munch your bees. Never heard of them wiping out a colony like Japanese hornets though.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    Oh trust me, you would freaking know if that was a Japanese hornet. The things can grow almost to the length of your palm and shoot venom at you that will dissolve flesh.

There's a reason all japanese video games have hornet enemies.

And yes, they will still eat honey bees. Bees get their protein from pollen. Wasps get their protein from whatever bug they can catch. Find the nest if you can, and hit it with some Raid hornet spray. I went through an entire can of the stuff this last weekend in the separate garage.
    The size of the hornet in that picture on a mans hand is the size we have here in Central Va. Perhaps Europeans on steroids, in any case, a sting to the head will result in both eyes swollen shut and dangerous swelling to the airways, regardless of allergies, they are beasts. I know first hand, have been stung 20 times on one arm by honneybees, 2 days later straight, a sting from one of these, and I am on the fence if I need help. Hope I dont get no more, but have had a few through the years. hate thos bas tards. G

I don't normally fear wasps and hornets, but day-um. When a small caliber handgun isn't automatically considered ridiculous and overkill, that saying something.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

I had these eating my bees and followed a recipe I found on here... a 2L coke bottle and put 2C sugar, 2C water, 1/2C white vinegar and a 1/2 banana peel chopped up inside and shake, then cut a 1inch hole near the top of the bottle and hang it nearby. The 2L is quickly filling with drowned European hornets, bald-faced hornets and yellow jackets but only 2 bees have gone in there so far and it's been up for a week. I tried just stepping on one, and that wasn't smart. They don't die easily in dirt.

seapro, in your first picture, I see a bunch of dead bee's in an open feeder. From observing on this forum, I'ld say your doing something wrong to have so many dead bee's.

They appear to have nothing to stand on, and it also appears you are open feeding, drawing in outsiders to your location, another no no.

Just saying..............

Quote Originally Posted by falls pa View Post
    seapro, in your first picture, I see a bunch of dead bee's in an open feeder. From observing on this forum, I'ld say your doing something wrong to have so many dead bee's.

They appear to have nothing to stand on, and it also appears you are open feeding, drawing in outsiders to your location, another no no.

Just saying..............
    I agree. The dish that you are using is not effective and looks like you are losing many bees. You need something with a rim or a lip and with a few small rocks in the middle. BTW...an open feeder like this if being used for sugar-water will only promote robbing. It's fine as a watering source though. I would invest in feeders for each hive so that the syrup can be obtained internally.

Take away the source of open food and this might also fix your hornet problem.

you lose 2000 bees a day, a few eaten by hornets is nothing.