Hybrid View

Default Need help identifying this ..

photo (1).jpgHi.
    I've seen a couple of these around the feeder the last couple of days and hope someone can help identify it. I think this might be a new secret weapon against the dreaded small hive beetles. Ha ha
    Last edited by seapro220; 08-19-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Default Re: Need help identifying this ..

Japanese hornet is what we always knew em as, dont know what they think about shb, but know they love to eat and feed thier young Honneybees. Get rid of em. G

are there 'baits' for them? they were more interested in drinking the sugar water - and leaving the bees alone.

Ive seen em snatch bees taking off of the landing board and go to a nearby limb and dismember and eat them. They are hateful, and if you get stung by one, wow, what a thrill. In my opinion makes any other sting feel like a massage. Some of the old timers around here talk of a bucket with some oily substance in it, with a light over the top. At night they hit the light then drop into the bucket. Im afraid I would lose straggling foragers to the light. Luckily for me there is a very small population of them this year here. They mostly live in hollows of dying trees from my experience, best thing to do is track em down and kill them at home. Good Luck. G

Well, I got 1 single..and a home run tonight. will kill them every chance I see them. thanks.

single.jpg

Just your every day European Hornet. There are no Japanese Hornets here....most likely.

Nice shot Seapro, keep it up. Everytime you are at the mound and see one, envision A-Rod, and Plink him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespa_crabro

They love to munch your bees. Never heard of them wiping out a colony like Japanese hornets though.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5