Default Late season NUC???

I have the opportunity to pick up a late season nuc from the beekeeper that got me started with my first. I am wondering how difficult it will be to get them through the winter? Should I keep them in their nuc box and add another deep above or should I put them into a 10 frame and have them overwinter in there? Or should I just wait until spring?

I live in Florida and am expecting a good flow from the brazilian pepper in September, your thoughts are appreciated.

Default Re: Late season NUC???

I have the same situation. I took it last week. This weekend I inspected it and it was full, so I added a super on top and am feeding so they build comb. I have all 8 frame medium equipment. My plan is to get them strong on 15 frames (two mediums) with the fall flow and feeding, and then transfer them into my 8-frame equipment for winter. Might have to feed sugar through the winter.
    I think in FL you should be able to do this just as easy.

go for it. you should be fine at your latitude.

Yeah, you're in Florida, you should be fine.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

You should not have to worry about getting them through winter (unless we have a fluke super cold winter). You can do either...add another 5 frames on top, or move them to a 10 frame. I like to keep things consistent, so I move to 10 frames. (just moved a 5 to a 10 yesterday as a matter of fact). Very, very few 'winter rules' apply to us. Go for it, no question. (put it this way, I have done splits in December and January, not because I wanted to, but because I had to.) You aren't that much further North to make things significantly different than down here. Go get your new bees.