Default My Oil Traps seem to have completely stopped my SHB problem

I lost a nuc and a single deep hive to SHB. Both were weak. Looking for a solution I bought freeman beetle traps, one version of the oil tray traps under SBB. Now I see a SHB or two, but never in large numbers. Despite having other weak hives, I haven’t lost another one. These traps are expensive, but if they really work, it’s worth it to add them to every hive as I expand. However, my experience is limited (First year Beek with 6 hives) so I thought I’d ask if others are having the same results? Before I start buying them or next years splits...
    Last edited by Robbin; 08-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.

Default Re: My Oil Traps seem to have completely stopped my SHB problem

Robbin
    I had similar situation, lost two nucs to shb was going to buy the oil tray under sbb but since I like to tinker and save money I went to local restruant supply store purchased some lunch trays 14x18 like you used in school, or cafeteria, modified my sbb so tray went in with less that 3/8 in clearance to keep bees out. trays cost me 2.77 each and little time and scap material saved me a bundle and they appear to be working great, I still see a few shb's but since they fly no way to completely get rid of them. hope this helps
    i am also first year beek if you want to build them I will be glad to send pics and more info

Strong hives take care of shb.

True but the oil traps help control the shb until the colonies can increase

Quote Originally Posted by Heintz88 View Post
    Easy to say in Illinois. You try keeping bees in FL and I think you'd be surprised.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Easy to say in Illinois. You try keeping bees in FL and I think you'd be surprised.
    I work with 5600 hives in Florida.

I work with 5600 hives in Florida.
    In that case...I reckon I'd be foolish to argue with you. But....I expect you'd agree....there's a world of difference in the problem in FL compared to IL....
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Your statement of fact does not help me save my weak hives. Oil trays are not an option for someone with 5600 hives. But if I lose 3, I've lost 50% of what I've got. I'm fighting tooth and nail to try and keep them all thru the winter to get a running start at next year.

Do you run sleeping bear farms in Florida? I know that they have a lot of hives in a northern state as well as a bunch at chipley. If so, you've got some great guys down here.