Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default nail them or screw them

Seems like most folks nail their langs together from what I read. Is there a problem with screwing them together?

Default Re: nail them or screw them

Glue (Tightbond II or III) and drywall screws.

My preference, too, is Titebond III and coated deck screws. Later, if any seem to be loosening up, I add some pneumatic staples and criss cross them after tightening up the deck screws, if they've loosened any.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I use tightbond II along with hot dipped galvanized twist shank nails and the boxes have all remained tight.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I also use tightbond II, and if the box are finger joint I will use nails. If they are rabbit joint I use screws.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmasterpat View Post
    Seems like most folks nail their langs together from what I read. Is there a problem with screwing them together?
    Since you are nailing thru side grain into end grain screws would tend, over time, to pull out of end grain. The end grain breaks.

I guess if you use glue, as others here have mentioned, screw use should be okay. Screws are more expensive and time consuming than nails. So I don't know why you'd use them if you are gluing anyway. The glue is what really holds things together once glued and nailed.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by ken rice View Post
    Glue (Tightbond II or III) and drywall screws.
    I've used drywall screws (cheap) and have found they will rust very easily. It seems water gets to them no matter how I paint or seal. Now I use coated deck screws..
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

snl,
    why screws and not galvanized nails?

Seems like if one is going to glue as well as screw or nail that one would not have to nail or screw every joint.

I tried screws with finger joints and glue but had a couple ends split right away so quit that and went with galv finish nails.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    snl,
    why screws and not galvanized nails?
    Just personal preference Mark, I've seen nails pull, but not screws. With a screw gun, it does not take much (if any longer) than nailing..........

I like screws, I use either decking screws or SS screws. But for my small number of hives, The little extra time and money are not significant. If I had hundreds, I would be more efficient. I also paint them and use cypress. I expect them to last a LONG time.

Quote Originally Posted by woodsy View Post
    I tried screws .........but had a couple ends split right away so quit that and went with galv finish nails.
    If you pre-drill the holes, no splitting......

If you are using box joints, all you need is staples. Nails are O.K, but holes should be predrilled, and screws are overkill. All you need is something to hold the joints until the glue dries. If using rabbet joints, I would nail or screw them, Again, not a lot of difference. Glue is the main holding force.

cchoganjr

As people have said, depending on your joints the choice varies somewhat.
    For glue;
    Tightbond III is waterproof (vs II that is resistant)
    Hardware;
    Coated screws are obviously the strongest option (have to predrill). You could use shank nails if you prefer a step up from normal nails. Just get a coated hardware, not that non-coated screws or nails won't work but depending on how you care for those boxes they will rust out if you maintain your supers long enough. Then again if you're painting over the hardware it won't really be exposed as much.

I use tightbond II and coated screws in all of my supers. Is it overkill? Sure, but it doesn't take me much longer to do it v nailing.

I only use screws if the boards are cupped any or if the joint is not tight for some reason. Usually only the top and bottom in box joints. Always tightbond glue no matter what.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo C. Hogan Jr View Post
    If you are using box joints, all you need is staples. Nails are O.K, but holes should be predrilled, and screws are overkill. All you need is something to hold the joints until the glue dries. If using rabbet joints, I would nail or screw them, Again, not a lot of difference. Glue is the main holding force.

cchoganjr
    Since you are gluing, do you staple every joint finger? Just seems like u wouldn't need to, no?

Cleo meet Larry aka snl. Larry meet Cleo. Jonnie Mac and Chuck are good friends. Each of you knows one of them.

Yes I staple each finger. I also have a special made pipe clamp that I use to pull the fingers into the valleys. Then the staple holds the finger until the glue dries, and insures a very tight fit. If I get a chance I will take a photo and post.

I use titebond III glue.

cchoganjr

all of my boxes but one are all nailed with a brad gun and 18 ga 1 1/2" brads with rabbet joints and titebond glue.

I have not had a box fail yet!

Nails are adequate without glue, screws are probably better, and with glue nails are plenty.

One thing that nails do is expand the fingers slightly, providing a tighter joint. You must pre-drill, but if you use a hole somewhat smaller than the nail, the fingers spread slightly. Keeps the gap smaller.

Use hot dip galvanized fasteners, with real zinc. Otherise, you remove the plastic coating when you drive the nails and have a soft iron surface exposed that will rust no matter what you do. Rusting inside the wood is fine, it causes the nails to "seize" in the wood, just makes them hard to remove. I don't plan on removing many, it's way too much work. If a box is so bad I need to replace a board, I'll toss it. That's why I paint them, to keep them from rotting.

Peter

Oil based paint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast