Question Reaction to Bee Stings

So today I got stung. This was my second time. The first time was through gloves and i didn't get much venom. This time I got hit pretty good and it swelled up a little bit, but within an hour or so it looked like I hadn't been stung. However, ten hours later the spot is very warm and it hurts a fair amount. Sooo, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would this rank? Should I be concerned? What is your usual reaction?

Default Re: Reaction to Bee Stings

My reaction is that it starts swelling after 20hrs and continues to increase for 5 days. It then slowly retracts over the next 5 days.

Therefore, I try not to get stung

MPPatriots;
    I am no doctor, but what you are discribing sounds pretty normal to me. Mine, at the most, may stay swollen for a day or more, but then they get hot, and they will itch like crazy for a day or two. From the people I know that are alergic, things happen quite quickly, and they experience far more than being a little swollen. It never hurts to get checked out though.
    No one famous.

mppatriots, those (including greal local swelling) are signs of a healthy immune system. Sting reactions can also vary each time and also between individuals. Swelling and warmth are due to increased blood supply to the sting area which promotes healing. Our bodies send chemicals to that area as part of the healing process.

I wouldn't worry too much. I have been stung several times and thankfully I'm not allergic (yet); however, several of my relatives are. My Doctor told me to be aware of changes in heart-rate, breathing, or if I start to feel sleepy. THOSE warning signs shouldn't be avoided.
    Good luck!
    "Life will find a way - it always finds a way." -Jurassic Park (MOVIE/BOOK)
    USDA Zone 5a

I'm with everyone else it ranks as a 1

Disclaimer, I'm not a doctor, was a medic for 40 or so years had my fair share of anaphylaxis type runs, i.e. bee sting reactions, During assessments of the patient, here is what I looked for!
    Trouble breathing, swelling of the airway, mucus in the upper airway, obstructed airway, lungs with wheezing, changing in skin conditions away from the sting site, color, bumps, redness. swelling, anywhere on the body.
    Number of stings, (PAST HISTORY OF ALLERGIC REACTIONS TO ANYTHING).
    I've never had a severe reaction myself, but if I get stung multiple times, I don't know how my body will react, therefore, I've visited my doctor, and he prescribed an EPIPIN, pin, or a auto Epinephrine Injection, this is my insurance policy from dying from my little girl friends.
    I've have experienced over the years of people dying before I arrived on the scene, due to bee stings, I'm not an expert by any means, but life experiences have shown me the way on many issues including getting stung by my bees! This is what I do for bee stings, your all adults, and we make decisions based on being an adult!

My son-in-law is a Doctor and he gave me an epipin for insurance, but he said most people that claim to be allergic to bee stings aren't. They think because they experience swelling and itching they are having an allergic reaction, but these are normal reactions to a sting. An allergic reaction is basically what Dave Warren described. It's an elevated heart rate, difficulty breathing and so on, and it comes on very quickly. If nothing has happened within an hour you are probably home free. He also says anyone that has been stung as many times as I have will probably not develop an allergy to bee stings. However it is possible that anyone at anytime can become allergic to stings, but the more you have been stung without major side affects the more immune you become.

Got my 1st honeybee sting yesterday since becoming a beekeeper 3 mos ago. Back of the upper arm area.
    Some burning sensation until the stinger was scraped off. Added ice to the site for a few minutes and all was
    normal within a couple hours except a little redness .
    Pretty mild pain and swelling compared to a yellow jacket or bald faced hornet sting.

Thanks everyone for the inputs. I has suspected this as being minor but was a bit confused by the hot feeling and pain that occured hours after being stung. I have been stung probably 30 times from yellow jackets as i landscaped in college and I had never experienced this before, so it made me a tad nervous. Oddly enough, I feel like the honey bee sting hurt much more than the yellow jackets, granted I usually got stung multiple times from yellow jackets and maybe adrenaline rushes dulled that pain.

Some of your bees will affect you more (mine do me) depending on where they get you & some just have a hotter load. IMHO

I wonder if you need to a have already had an allergic reaction to bees to get a prescription for an Eppipen. My reactions have been normal so far, but I'm by myself and not close to any help.

All we did to get a prescription for an epi pen was to tell our doctor that we were starting apitherapy and also starting beekeeping. We had about 9 months of stings to a total of nearly 975 stings each. That was a few years ago and we are starting it up again.

Your reaction sounds normal to me. A week ago I worked my bees for the first time this season and got half a dozen hits on my left hand. Of those two really blew up and the others barely raised a red mark. It was all over within a couple of days with everything back to normal.

What really amazes me is the difference between the ones that caused swelling and the ones that did nothing. All from the same hive so they should be similar. Maybe the swellers were from guard bees that really meant it and the others from house bees that were only slightly p..eed off and did not get the sting in so deep.
    Cheers
    Rob

I'm new to beekeeping this year but have had my fair share of stings through out my life. all the honey bee stings I've ever had were in the foot from stepping on them in the grass I'd say a total of 20 or so in my life and I'm not 30 yet. usually they hurt a bit, don't swell or itch and all is well a few hours later. but I got my initiation sting 2 days ago in my pinky toe... I was dumb enough to wear sandals in the bee yard while shaking the ladies off a frame ... and man oh man, my toe swelled to 3 times it's size and hurt until this morning. now it just itches so badly I wouldn't mind cutting it off! still it was just a localized reaction and I'm know that I'm not allergic, but I have been wondering why "my bee's" sting hurt so much more? They weren't mad when I shook them and I literally just stepped on this one too.

This reminds me, I need to get an epipen. I'm not allergic to bees (not allergic to anything), but better to be safe than sorry.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Interesting subject for sure. I do something weird on the stings LOL. Seems I specialize in weird at times. If I get hit on the right side I swell up. Hits on the left seem to only make a small welt. I do keep an epipen as a safety precaution.
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Rub on some vapor rub on it.