Default Cut out this late

I did a cut out last week or they would of been pushed up and burnt. They had brood but no capped honey. Seemed weird to me. Today I got a call and went to look to find another that looks to be about the same shape. They have about 6 football shape and length combs and maybe 1/4 lb of bees on it under an eve exposed. There is no way they can winter here so will have to try to take them under my wing and hive them. Any thought on if they can make it even feeding the fire out of them? These appear to be feral as hey are much smaller then the ones I get in a package. I am in west central Illinois.

Drifter
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Default Re: Cut out this late

Was this a call back to the same location as your cut out? They won't survive your winters in an open air colony up there, so you are probably their best chance! Did you get the queen on the last cut out? Maybe you could combine the two, depending on the queen situation....

No these are from about 10 mile apart. I do believe they were both late swarms though. Both had about same amount of comb built.
    Some can learn by others mistakes , others have to whizz on the electric fence for themslves .

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter View Post
    There is no way they can winter here so will have to try to take them under my wing and hive them. Any thought on if they can make it even feeding the fire out of them?
    I think its worth a try if removal is not too much work, especially if you receive compensation. Lots of guys winter sucessfully in 5 frame nucs. 4 frames capped and 1 brood/pollen. Samsclub has 25lb bags of sugar for $10. ;-)

You can doo it! feed feed feed , still some time on the 40th
    Last edited by Tenbears; 08-14-2013 at 07:04 AM. Reason: typo

I'd give it a go. If they were mine, with my gear, I'd put them in single deeps and let them build as long as the weather holds. Then combine into a single stronger hive going into winter.

A trusted codger combines by stacking the sections as if they were new gear and sprays air freshener throughout. He says it confuses them to no end and by the time the fragrance clears, they sort out the hierarchy. I'm thinking the queens duke it out and by the time the dust settles, only one pheromone remains. I haven't tried before, but this year one of my splits is small and rather than spending on syrup, I'll likely use his method to combine with my next strongest colony.

Well got em home now. They were very active yesterday. Today opened em up and put SC foundation splitting the brood nest. Seemed a lot less bees today but was some on the brood so not sure what was going on. I also put foundation in the other and what a mess they had with the comb I had put in they had brood in. I laid it more on it's side to encourage them to draw out the foundation so I can remove the old stuff.

I will leave em alone for awhile and see what happens. I know better then to think I can force them to do anything much like dealing with a mule. Bees will do what they want no matter what .

Drifter

Well, worst case scenario is that they don't make it, and you get some drawn comb out of them to use on the rest of your hives. I'm sure you'd rather have the bees, but even a failed hive still has some value.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com