Default New Queen is getting mobbed by workers. What are they trying to prevent ?

I just set up my oberservation hive a few days ago and had to requeen it. I put the queen up to one of the holes on the side of the hive and the bees were extremely happy to see her and fed her and all looked well. So after a few hours of that I released her into the hive and they mobbed her. I couldnt even see her for a few hours there were so many bees around her. It wasnt attacking or aggressive behavior though. As of today, they are still around her, packed rows and rows deep surrounding her. They are feeding her, cleaning her, etc. But she cant even walk around hardly. Is this normal for the first few days of a new queen being released and I just cant normally see it ? Here's a pic of what they are doing. I've heard of bees trying to prevent queens from attacking other queens for swarming etc. But I cant imagine what these bees are trying to prevent her from doing. All I can say is, how annoying would this be ?
    2013-08-18 15.43.46.jpg 2013-08-18 15.42.30.jpg
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

Default Re: New Queen is getting mobbed by workers. What are they trying to prevent ?

If they are not smothering her or stinging her or playing make a wish, it will be fine.

Default Re: New Queen is getting mobbed by workers. What are they trying to prevent ?

Is it possible that this happens all the time, but as the business of bees orienting to their new queen happens in darkness and privacy there is no one around to see it?

That's what I was wondering Adrian. I've been watching them some more and I found her on the comb surrounded by about 7 bees. They were all calm and she looked fine. Within 5 minutes, as she wandered off slowly......a few other bees noticed her, one grabbed her middle leg with their mouth and she ran off with him in tow. Less than a minute went by and there were 50 bees around her again and I couldn't even see her anymore. Somehow she got out of the ruckus a few minutes later and I looked at her legs, all 6 seemed fine. She walked up to the top of the frame and all was calm again for a few minutes. Its almost as if a certain percentage of bees just discovered her in the hive and mob her 3 or 4 times an hour and then things get calm after she escapes the crowd...... It seems like its a repeating cycle. Weird

I havent seem but 2 bees be aggressive towards her. So they must be old foragers I guess ?
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

The bees attending to her are called a retinue. This one seems intense. They seem very excited by her. I hope this translates to great performance on her part.

Perhaps they are overly anxious for her to get into laying condition.

You should watch this link.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h81E-hlSbQ

Google "Balling the queen" and do a little research....did you release her too soon?