Question What are these critters?

Have a top bar hive with a screened bottom, then a bottom cover I can unlatch to let the hive get some air.

It has been closed for awhile due to the cool weather. So today I opened the bottom and saw some larvae on the bottom of cover. I guess the bee's can't get to them because of screen and they found a way to get into that space. Any way I am posting some links to the pics below. Can anyone identify what these critters are? Also I am thinking of coating the bottom of the board with some petroleum jelly to prevent this in the future.

pic1

pic2

Some who fell onto the ground.

And here is some new comb the bee's are working on.
    Old enough to know better, still too young to care
    Camden, OH My home page: http://christ77.tripod.com/

Default Re: What are these critters?

SHB=small hive bettle larva
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Those on the ground are there to pupate into adult beetles and complete the cycle. To kill those about to enter the ground, you can spray with GUARDSTAR, late in the afternoon. For hive management, cut down the amount of comb the bees are covering so they can remove the eggs before they hatch into the larva you are seeing. I would put them into a clean hive to get rid of the larve crawling around inside the hive. Keep the hive strong is first defense. Placing your hives in total sunshine also helps against SHB.

cchoganjr

Those larvae are huge. Almost as long as a bee itself in the first pic. They look like wax worms from a wax moth to me. How big do SHB get there in In.? lol

th.jpeg

1/2 the size of wax worms

They look more like wax moth too me too.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Mr Beeman..Sharpbees... After looking at them again, I think you may be right. Hard to tell the size from the photo. Either way, SHB or Waxworms, the way to control is to keep hives strong, and if already advanced, he will need to break the cycle. Putting in a clean hive will remove the eggs, larve, already attached to the woodenware.

cchoganjr

How big do SHB get there in In.?
    Not very big but I have never seen a wax moth larva go to the ground either.

Cleo another treatment we are useing for SHB larva is table salt on the ground (40# bag for 7 bux)
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Honeyman46408... yes, I have talked to several who are using table salt around the hives. I normally tell beekeepers, if the larva are already falling to the ground, you have likely already lost the battle. Need to stop it before it gets to that stage.

I have also read some about diatomaceous earth being used under hives.

cchoganjr.

It depends on how many SHB larvae are in the colony. I have seen a few that the bees failed to clean out as eggs hatch and exit to the ground. If the ground is not sandy loam the larvae have a hard time burrowing in. Often ants catch and kill them before they get covered up.

Yes, you can help the ants and other predators out by putting something hard under the hive entrance. I use a paving stone (with a nice bee shape molded into it) that sits so that anything falling out of the baseboard in front of the hive entrance will fall smack dab into the middle of the paving stone. Nothing there for beetles or anything else to burrow into. Hopefully they get eaten by predators before they wiggle off to the sides to find the dirt, but if nothing else it slows them down.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 08-24-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: UNQuote
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com