Thread: Shb ?

Default Shb ?

i have a few nucs started this year and between the queenrighting issues and the huuuuge amounts of rain we have had this year (it literaly just gone done raining for 12 out of the past 15 days) a few of them are weak. when finally being able to mow down the copious amounts of tall brush that has come up in the nuc yard,i finally got to inspect today. a few nucs have quite a few SHB's in them.

what is everyones best solution for combatting and controlling them ?

Default Re: Shb ?

The number one defense is a strong hive. There are also various traps you can use. The better beetle blaster works well, but can be messy. Some people say that keeping hives in full sun helps keep them down, and it might, but I don't have enough experience to comment.

If you have 2-3 beetles in a hive, don't worry about it. If you are seeing a ton of them, then you might want to get some traps.

Also smashing them with a hive tool is pretty effective.

http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ry/page79.html
    Try it. What could happen?

As per my state bee inspector, and common sense, it is the bee numbers that will keep the SHB from ruining your hive(s).
    I agree with him obviously but his position is having any frame that has resources that the SHB could possibly find interesting covered with bees. This, to me, put a hive either on the verge of swarming due to lack of room, or in immediate danger of being slimmed.
    I have also had weather very friendly to SHB and have found several hives with an alarming number of SHB in them. On those with huge SHB populations I used 6 beetle traps that go between the frames and have a section in the middle for a bait. I baited with pollen and dead SHB which was a recommendation from the inspector. I used soapy water in the traps. I came back to the hives with the big SHB problem and the traps were jammed with SHB and maybe had 5% of the original numbers scurrying around so I let the bees handle it.
    I swore I wasn't going to use traps and that I was just going to let the bees take care of the SHB this year but I couldn't keep my word to myself. I had a fellow beek loose a three story 10-frame deep hive this year with about 100 lbs of honey in it. That is $600.00 to this person and it happened in a matter of a week. It was a site that would make a buzzard puke.
    When a hive goes queenless and there is a flow on the hive looses 2000 bees per day according to what I've read. With a honey super to cover with dwindling bee numbers the SHB take over.
    By & large I try to ignore SHB unless they look like they are just stressing the hive toward collapse.
    Full sun helps a lot but makes for a hot hive for the bees. Avoid equipment that provides hiding places such as some plastic frames and metal frame spacers. I found a lot of beetles in the bottom groove of my frames and will fill these grooves in as I clean the frames of wax etc. Sort of like a putty application into the groove.
    Between the varroa and these SHB bastards it is amazing we get ANY honey nevermind hives that live.
    One good thing about the rain is that it will keep more bees inside to hopefully chase the SHB.
    Very frustrating situation indeed.
    Good luck.

thanks very much for the advice guys.

as i said we had tons of rain these past few weeks. like an astonishing amount. i think this wet environment has something to do with the SHB. the apiary is about a 1/4 acre away from our house on our farm. and it was impossible to get there due to the crazy brush growth from the rain. went from mowed to 7' in the apiary areas. i mowed yesterday and left them alone from the stress of weedeating and mowing. did inspections today and the weak nucs had a large amount of SHB's on the top of the frames when i cracked them. the comb seems ok and the bees were somewhat mellow. except one that must have lost the queen during the storms. the nucs are in full sun and its mowed and clear now soo im hoping that will help. if not better by monday ill get some beetle blasters. the full hives we have are doing great and it seems they are in a good flow right now from the blooms due to the rain.

thanks again guys.

I've got mine sitting on the screened bottom board with the mineral oil trap below. It's made a huge difference. Also I like the hive top feeders and they attract SHB, so I use FatBeeMan's traps up there whenever I have a feeder on.

I had to adapt the plans a bit to make them fit the nucs, but it was worth it.

HTH

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Hills Farm View Post
    I've got mine sitting on the screened bottom board with the mineral oil trap below. It's made a huge difference. Also I like the hive top feeders and they attract SHB, so I use FatBeeMan's traps up there whenever I have a feeder on.

I had to adapt the plans a bit to make them fit the nucs, but it was worth it.

HTH

Rusty

hahahaha i just told my wife i need to hit our shop early in the morning and make SBB's for all the nucs we have. using or not using. we definitely are sold on the sbb. as soon as we put our hives on them this spring.... they have done incredible !

unfortunately when i made them i dint put sliding trays in them soo im torn whether or not to use them through the winter weather.

heres my thoughts:
    use them open the way they are and hope they grin and bear it through the cold.
    put them on solid boards but worry about the moisture and bugs infesting
    or
    put the sbb's with the hives on them on solid plywood.

let me know ur thoughts. ESPECIALLY how and if you overwinter with SBB's. But, if i need to put them on solids in the winter and sbb;s starting in spring...ill do it. the payoff is much too great from them.

this winter will be spent in the shop building SBB's and tons of cotes nucs for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tommysnare View Post
    unfortunately when i made them i dint put sliding trays in them soo im torn whether or not to use them through the winter weather.

heres my thoughts:
    use them open the way they are and hope they grin and bear it through the cold.
    put them on solid boards but worry about the moisture and bugs infesting
    or
    put the sbb's with the hives on them on solid plywood.
    I'm in middle GA, so our winters aren't so bad. A few days of 20s is about as low as it gets. I had a 35 year beekeeper here tell me that he leaves SBBs on all year...so I decided to do that on about 3 last winter. On one particularly chilly and windy night, I had a good amount of bees killed. The hive survived, but I learned what not to do.

So, my plan for this winter is to cut some 3/4" luann the size of the SBB and stick it inside of the hive. Such that it will rest on top of the SBB. This (in theory) will block the wind and keep some heat in on those chilly nights. It still leaves the bees 1/2" of doorway...and it sounds pretty simple. I guess a lot of things that have not been tried sound pretty simple though...we shall see.
    Try it. What could happen?

My SBBs have solid bottoms where the tray sits and a trap door at the rear, so I kinda have the best of the solid bottom AND the oil trays. That said, this is my first winter on these new bottoms and I am planning on leaving them as-is. Time will tell if I've made the right decision. (I'm far enough north that we do see the occasional snow flurry but nothing ever lays).

Rusty
    Rusty Hills Farm -- home of AQHA A Rusty Zipper & Rusty's Bees ( LC and T)