Default fall flow and brood build up

the goldenrod and jasmine are now in full bloom here and the first rounds of brood are just emerging after the summer shut down. this is earlier than last year, and the mild temps are allowing the bees to focus their attention on pollen and nectar instead of water.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Default Re: fall flow and brood build up

Five weeks ago I was grabbing brood from colonies I didn't expect to make surplus this year and building up my boomers. Seems like my timing was pretty good. I was just in the bee yard and "that smell" is in the air. Of course the grass has grown up on the bear fence (down to 4.2KV) so I hope the bees make it another night and tomorrow I'll mow down what I need to.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

that's interesting andrew. five weeks ago there was hardly any brood in my hives. i even thought one of them was queenless, but found the queen and some eggs a week later. i think they were just shutting down because of lack of forage, which give these bees a natural brood break, and may be part of why they are doing well off treatments. i guess location makes a big difference.

I was poking around last week and most of the queens are going full guns, weaklings not counted. Stink-foot smell in most of the yards today, yellow and green pollen was coming in fast and furious. I'll be taking a hard eye at the non-producers very soon.

Same here squarepeg, my backyard hives have drawn out all the frames and filling with brood and nectar. Tons of brood. I checked a month ago and nothing was going on. I was stunned at the difference when I opened them this week. I hope I'm not too late on the hives that needed more boxes. Time to put out bait hives.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

I opened my hives yesterday and was rather shocked at the amount of bees and brood in all the hives! More brood than I've ever seen this time of year. The amount of pollen--many frames of pollen! I was also dismayed by the lack of capped honey and nectar. They are going to have to hustle to make enough to feed themselves over the winter!

it was nice to see very strong foraging these past few days, reminiscent of spring. they seem to be preferring the jasmine over the goldenrod. also seeing lots of orientation flights.

Location. I've seen bees starving their colony to death this summer while one town over they are making honey. I've had reports of the same scenario but with adjacent hives. There is no substitute for knowing what is going on in your colonies. If to know means to inspect, inspect!

We've had a bunch of rain here this summer and while conditions are good for late August I sense (how I wish I knew) that fall will be early this year. I expect my first killing frost in the first half of September. Go bees Go - fill those brood boxes with honey so I don't need to feed you!
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com