Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: How I plan on overwintering 40 mating nucs on mini frames

Quote Originally Posted by Velbert View Post
    There is some bad points on all of them.
    Thanks for your input. Great stuff.

As far as I know, I don't believe we have to worry as much about SHB in New Hampshire? Only my first year so I'd need other NH beeks to confirm that but I haven't seen any here. I think it's one of the trade offs due to our harsh winters.

But great points about the slots being very small for getting your hand in.

Does anyone see problems with how small the clusters would be? For example if I took a 10 frame box and divided it into 5 two-frame colonies and tried over wintering that

I wouldn't even try a 2 frame. 3 frame DEEP i would try I am futher south a good pint size cluster when it is about 25 or 30 degrees works real well here. Where you are at i would want a quart size cluster. Then it might be iffy.
    Last edited by Velbert; 10-06-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Heres how those nucs are progressing in the OP.

Remember, I moved the mating nucs into these double colony box's, therfore loosing some of the foragers
    This was taken about 8-15-13:

Here it is on 10-1-13:

I was gone for 2 weeks hunting in Idaho, so it was not fed quite as consistantly as I wanted. But there is lots of brood, so should be plenty of young bees to overwinter. I like the half sized deep frames because they have more Interior surface area than large frames. More interior means warmer brood nest and more brood.

Yes, I got my elk, if you are interested:0

Here is my buddies nice 6 PT.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mille...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 10-06-2013 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Thanks for the input. I just had the experience of overwintering doubles last year and many ended up with one side packed full of bees, the other side empty.
    I've had the exact same experience overwintering side by side 4 frame mediums.
    5Y-25H-T-Z6b-0 winter losses in '14

What is the point of the spacer with the screen on this bottom? Is this just so you can add the feeder jar setting top of the screen?

I saw that some of your lives have the hole cut to support the jar, but I didn't see this in the spacer/screen set up.

Those are my screened inner covers. I make them with 3/4 x 3" material so I can ether fill it with insulation or flip it over to accomodate a sugar brick. If I feed on the screen, I add an empty super to cover the inverted mason jar. With this 3" rim, I can use a half gallon jar. With a 1 1/2 rim on the screened iner cover, I can only fit a quart jar when covered with a shallow super.

Be sure to poke your holes in the jar lid, then flip it over and attach the band, so the bees can reach the syrup through the screen.

Should half frame deeps really be called "mini frames"?

When the half deep frames are 5, 6, or more times larger than the small frames in Styrofoam mating nucs it seems that they would be called something other than "mini".

There's other small frames which seem to fit in the "mini" category, but to someone who uses all mediums, a half frame deep doesn't seem mini-ture.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I call anything 5 frame deep or medium a nuc. I am starting to call anything less a micro colony or mini nuc. I see Laurie's post more of a response to how to get a mini nuc to a 5 fame box. Which is basically exactly what she is doing here. It shows the progression of how to start with mini frames and continue with those frames to larger compartments. For some the end goal would be to have the bees moved to a full size hive. so somewhere in that progression the name of the hive they are in will change. I would say it shows how to go from mini mating nuc to nuc. Now I am interested in how they go from nucs to 10 frame boxes. I see one way already possibly. just place a box over these mini frames that have full size fraems in them. next spring the bees move up while expanding and you have 5 full frames complete with brood and bees to move to a full size hive. Leaving you with filled out mini frames ready for queen introduction.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

If you look on this thread, I recently posted some photos of larger standard 10 frame deeps modified to hold the deep half frames. You can stack these into a full size standard hive and do many configurations with them, including half deeps AND standard deeps..all in the same box. Scroll down for new photos:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...88#post1016188

There are advantages and disadvantages to each, when Dividing a 10 frame deep hive body. Divide in half with 10 frames on each side holds more frames and two colonies, but to expand you need to have seperate small custom deeps above the main base body. Placing another divided deep above is possible, but is a real pain in the neck to work. Keep everything seperate above the divided two colony base hive body, including inner covers. Common lid though.

Dividing the 10 frame deep hive body for one colony with 12 or 13 half sized deeps only holds one colony, but you can use in interior feeder with it, feed them standard frames of honey, and can stack them to the sky with no problems. In fact, these deeps stacked 5 or 6 high overwinter exceptionally well in a 'Tower' type hive. Tall and narrow but more stable than several 5 frame nuc box's stacked that high. Remember, you can stack mini's over/under standards in any way you want.

If I said micro nuc, mini nuc, mini deep nuc, would you would understand the size of the frame correctly? I want to mention I use deep mini frames so people trying to use them to stock their nucs or overwinter will know I have more 'meat' to my frame and make their's the same strength.
    5 mini deeps are equivalent to 2 1/2 deep standard frames and so on. 4 mini top bar frames would be equivalent to about 1 deep frame I would say. That's BIG difference in volume
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.

If I said micro nuc, mini nuc, mini deep nuc you would understand the size correctly.

"Split Deep" seems like a much more accurate name...
    BeeCurious

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    "Split Deep" seems like a much more accurate name...
    Did you split that deep the long way or the short way?

One way you use full size frames and the other half size.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer Jim View Post
    Did you split that deep the long way or the short way?

One way you use full size frames and the other half size.
    And neither one would approach the size of what is normally considered a mini frame.

The deep frames divided vertically ("SPLIT", in the middle) and used in mating nucs could be considered "Jumbos" when compared to the commonly known mini mating nuc frames.

In the future, new beekeepers may find it curious that all nonstandard mating nuc frames were called "mini" regardless of their size...
    BeeCurious

A friend of mine makes comb honey in medium depth supers w/ two divisions along the length of the super. So, instead of one frame he has three where one would be. He calls them "Mini Frame Combs".

What are we supposed to call normal sized frames?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    A friend of mine makes comb honey in medium depth supers w/ two divisions along the length of the super.
    Wait a minute, Acebird said you didn't have any friends?

Like this? Corn dog sticks shoved into the grove. They come in the perfect size, you don't even have to trim them.

I should have taken a photo of it full of honey. Just run your knife around the edge and you get a perfect square.

"What are we supposed to call normal sized frames?"
    I'd call them 'custom-standards'

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

What are we supposed to call normal sized frames?
    "Frames " is the term that's frequently used in my area....
    BeeCurious

Wait a minute, Acebird said you didn't have any friends?
    Grrr, why that guy ... (insert funny Homer and Bart Simpson neck ringing icon here)

Gee Lauri, aren't u my friend?

Nice Lauri, but my friend make three individual frames for comb to be drawn in and sells frame/comb/honey all in a plastic clamshell deli tray. People like the wooden frame.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

So maybe anything not "normal" or standard size should be called by its dimension. Such as 6X5 inch mini frame or 4X4 mini frame.

UPDATE 11-10-13
    If you're interested...

Weather was warm enough here to add the last step to buttoning up for winter. Adding fortified sugar blocks.
    I found the small colonies in great shape. They had not reduced size for winter at all..of course due to the fact all the bees were fall hatched and young.

After giving them a puff to drive them down into the frames, I placed the sugar block directly above the colony right on top the frames. As they are in single deeps, the condensation on the sugar will give them a slow syrup source above the cluster. Capped honey in good supply on the outside edges and interior frames. The block will also give them a solid surface directly above the cluser to aid a little in retaining colonies heat.

I added the block, and flipped over the screened inner cover to accomodate the sugar.
    Then add inner insulation..1 1/2 in frame:

Top with lid that is also insulated

Wrap all four sides, secure and pray

I'll let you know how they over winter in about 4 months

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast