Hybrid View

Default How I plan on overwintering 40 mating nucs on mini frames

Here's how these mating nucs were run all summer. Divided nucs with five, half sized deeps on each side:

Transferred into divided 10 frame deeps to hold a colony on each side:

Below: Another 'condo' after transfer..colony in back transfered two weeks ago. Colony in front transfered three weeks ago. Not all frames are drawn out yet, but they are trying to build up as you can see by the new comb on the top bars and inner screened cover:

If they havn't drawn out and filled all the frames in the bottom box, I don't 'bait' them up to the new box with any drawn frames, so they fill the bottom deep before moving up.This photo was taken July 13th.

Give them another box and feed well:

Here they are after about a month-photo taken 8-10-13:

One side stronger than the other. This is the upper box:

The smaller mating nucs do suppress the newly mated queen if you keep her in very long. Give her more room and watch her go to town!
    Overwintering double colonies is a little tricky. You need to equalize the colonies so they are about the same strength going into the winter. Easy to do with a little manipulation and increased/reduced feeding depending on the needs.

I could put a queen excluder on top and let the bees mingle over winter, keeping the queens separate. But the problem with that is during the winter the bees will pick a favorite queen and jump ship to the other side, abandoning their queen. Be sure your hive divider tolerances are tight! Or they will sneak over to the other side on their own.

I have 40 premium queens I am over wintering this way. Some will be in singles, some doubles. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Those that overwinter well and show excellent qualities will be available as breeder quality, locally mated Northern queens. I plan to use the others for making up early nucs and any replacements I may need for my larger hives.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mille...56954971040510

I picked a good year to make increases to my yard. Suger is the lowest I've seen it since I have had bees. I paid $9.73 for a 25# C&H at costco. Just bought another ton
    Last edited by Lauri; 08-17-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Default Re: How I plan on overwintering 40 mating nucs on mini frames

interestresting plan.. I am trying some of teh shamrock mateing nuces this winter. they are devided into fours. double deep, but small clusters. but since there is 4 clusters....

We shall see

Lauri,
    I would have thought that the bees would have trouble getting to the underside of the feeder jars,having to stick their tongues through the screen. Apparently they do just fine.

Very good looking setup and plan. Things should work out well for you.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

The Shamrock mating nuc is too thin walled for overwintering here. I average 40 degreewinter temps, but get down to the teens at times.

Mark, I'm breeding those long tongued bees ya know. LOL, seriously, you have to invert the lid of the jar or they can't reach it.

They'll all get sugar blocks whether they need it or not. I have had good luck with this method and will write more about it when we get closer to the season for winter feeding.

I'm feeding 1:1 right now until the frames get drawn and the queen has filled them well with brood. Then I'll switch to 2:1 for fall weight. If needed, I'll take capped honey from other large hives that are also on the half deeps. I have several to take extra resources from.

Last edited by Lauri; 08-17-2013 at 09:27 PM.

very cool lauri, thanks for sharing.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Like what you are doing. Like Squarepeg said, Thanks for sharing.

You will have some very nice nucs
    come spring time.

Going to winter these just made splits i will put on another box when i get a laying queen going.we don't get as cold as you a few nights in teens and single degree but more like 20 to 30 lows

Been using my strong mini nucs when i pull a queen to raise a few cells.

TAP PICTURE ITS A VIDEO

Very nice pics and explanation. They gave me some good ideas

Picture of my 4-1/2 frame length mini nuc with brood that will make up winter cluster
    Most have 2 frames like this and side frames have about 1/2 that amount of brood this will winter great still bringing in goldenrod nectar and pollen. Some brood in top box with honey.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g3...004_113232.jpg

Having no experience with mating nucs; but incredibly interested in learning more about this.

Is there a benefit to the 5 "half" frame mini mating nucs (that Lauri is using) rather than using 2 or 3 full size frames?

In FatBeeMan's videos, he uses an 8 frame box with 3 partitions to divide the box into 4 2-frame colonies for rearing or mating queens. Wasn't sure if there was a difference or what every one's experiences show.

More specifically in the FatBeeMan's videos:
    Part 1- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-c6MQbEs14
    Part 2- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y6fztFLcNw

Thoughts?

There is some bad points on all of them.
    I have tried quads, 6 packs deep 10 frame hives with 3 frames per box
    Single shallow, Deep singles and Medium singles with bottoms nailed on bottoms

The quads or 6 packs they have a lot of hidding places for small hive beetles,if one compartment gets robbed out and you restock it they will usually get rerobbed out.the grooves you cut in the ends for your dividers they are hard to take out after a few months with bees in them. If the beetles take over 1 compartment its hard to clean up if you don't watch they will spread to the other compartments.

I like Singles best of all I tried
    They all will work some just need more detailed care and it also depends what you plan to do on which one will work best for you.

I got a few YouTube vlwbee123 do a search

The queen castle has the same issues as the quads or 6 packs with one more added problem the narrow spacing to to get queen out if she happens to be on the bottom or side wall which happens more than you would think
    Last edited by Velbert; 10-05-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Jared

I think you will like the ones Lauri has built better.
    Hers are better for overwintering and your not having to restock each unit every spring some might not make it but most will if they have plenty of bees and stores.

Mann lake sales the end bars seperate but you have to call them. I ordered 100 frames two days ago and an extra 200 end bars. For mediums, they are 12 cents per. It roughly worked out to 101 dollars for 200 medium mating nuc frames.

ML_End_Bars.jpg
    Last edited by KevinR; 12-25-2013 at 08:38 AM.

Kelley and Brushy Mountain both also sell frame components separately. For instance, here are some end bars:
    http://www.kelleybees.com/Shop/39/Hi...Style-End-Bars

- and -

http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/117/
    -- Victor Hugo -- "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.

Thanks to both of you, all the mating nucs shown here are nice, I may have to look into building some.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I go to Dadants in Paris TX. And get my frames and extra end bars $11 or $12 per bundle of 100

I order the standard deep frames, unassembled from Mann Lake, and order extra end bars. Cut the top bar to 9 1/4", bottom bar to 8".
    With a 3/4" divider in a 10 or 8 frame deep, 9 1/4" top bar fits perfectly.

There are lots of ways to make mini frames that are easier and cheaper..But in the long run, having the sturdy end bars and bottom bar are nice.
    Last edited by Lauri; 12-25-2013 at 09:09 AM.

I'm in the process of building 50 mating nucs, so I can get cool like Lauri and Micheal Palmer. My forum post next year will be... How I killed 50 mating nucs on mini frames. (grins)
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

I am cutting my rite cell, 10 at a time on my miter saw. 2/3 installed in my standard frames and the other 1/3 for the half sized deeps frames. I glue in a small wood skewer in the top bar grove to keep foundation centered and give the bees a guide to start the foundationless part of the comb.

This is how it looks when they work the frames

I'll likley get more drones with frames made this way. But since I raise queens, that is an added bonus in addition to stretching the foundation costs. There are a lot of feed stores around the brood area too. Might be a better frame combo for overwintering.
    A person can have the option of cutting out drone comb or cutting out honey comb from this type of frame.
    Last edited by Lauri; 12-26-2013 at 08:51 AM.