Default Who still got virgins

Hi, All!

Good news today. After one week emergence the last virgin finally got mated and
    return to her hive. Saw her thingy sticking something out almost all dried out on a
    nuc check today. At this late I thought that there are no more local drones around. Not even sure if
    those are the local carnis from the bee association or the Italians drones here. Hopefully after a few
    more flights she will be laying some big fat winter eggs. Looking forward to see what the new bees will look like.
    And I thought now is rather late for the virgin queen. Was worried for a week already. At mid-80s today there's still hopes!
    Wonder who else still have the virgins around at this time of the year?

Thingy sticking out:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

Default Re: Who still got virgins

It's called Mating Sign.
    38 years - 25 colonies, 32 Nucs - IPM disciple - Naturally Skeptic

Two years ago we got a virgin mated and laying in October. The other hive kept drones available for her long past what we expected. I suspect they knew she was there.

She didn't make it thru the winter, though. Never did build up enough population of winter bees. The deadout showed a cluster smaller than the palm of my hand. We did not find the queen in the cluster, but did find two drones, and I swear they died with smiles on their faces.

Maybe Sacramento can pull it off. Everybody around here though it was doomed, but the bees decided to try anyway.

I'm in north Florida and had a nuc make a single queen cell 15 Sept. Thought they may not make it and went to combine them with a hive yesterday and while looking for eggs saw the queen. Closed them up after adding a frame of open brood with bees.

On Sept 21, I had two queens emerge in a nuc. A week and a half later, I had one laying queen. I checked today and she's been pumping out eggs. I may have to augment as the population is small, but I think it will depend on the weather, which has been unusual all year. I'm feeding 2:1, although this nuc is not taking much of it.

In hindsight, I wish I had pulled one of the queens out into another nuc with some brood frames, and let both get mated and laying. Then I could have combined the two later this fall for a stronger colony for winter.

I had two virgins a week ago. One of them mated and laying now. No sign of laying on the other queen. I made sure lots of drone flying when I did a split on Sep 10. I know it was late but one hive was busting with bees and I wanted to see how late I can get a mated queen. I will push the envelope further by couple of weeks next year.

Was checking colonies last week and found one that was low in population. Started pulling frames from the broodnest and found one with about 15 hatched out queen cells. Then saw a virgin running around, not the long, slender, just-hatched shaped queen but the shorter, triangular shape. Saw drones that same day so left the colony alone. That yard is in central Massachusetts. I'm curious to see what will happen.

The mating sign virgin did lay.
    For a late October queen in a mite infested nuc hive she should be fine gambling on the
    vsh traits. Saw the solid white milky eggs on a hive check yesterday. A sign of relief seeing
    the hive is growing again.
    Don't mix foreign bees into a virgin hive. She might get balled 100% of the time! When will you ever learn, huh?

The mating sign virgin did lay.
    For a late October queen in a mite infested nuc hive she should be fine gambling on the
    vsh traits. Saw the solid white milky eggs on a hive check yesterday. A sign of relief seeing
    the hive is growing again.