Here's an update on my attempt to introduce an Italian queen into a Russian hive.
I live in Central Florida. I had a mean hive that I started from a Russian nuc that I bought from a guy in Valkaria, Fl.
I got tired of this mean hive, so I killed the queen, and introduced a fertilized Italian queen from a local hobbyist beekeeper, but being July in Florida, she overheated in her little cage and died. So I then bought a few Italian queen cells from a large beekeeper in Mims. That worked and I now have an Italian queen, but the hive is still mean. I think the Italian queen mated with local psuedo-African drones. It has been about three months since introducing the new queen cells, so all the workers and brood from the old queen should be gone by now.
I might replace this queen with a queen that was fertilized with good stock, but I'll probably have to wait until spring.