Default Queen rearing equipment

Hey all,
    This is my going to be my second year beekeeping next spring and I am going to try rearing my own queens.
    I was just wondering what equipment will need? So I can sort thru all the stuff I don't need.
    Any suggestions as to best suppliers and alike?

Default Re: Queen rearing equipment

mdasplitter,com Watch it a couple times during the winter. It works as advertised.

What method of queen rearing are you thinking of doing? There are some methods that don't really need any special equipment, so without knowing what you are planning, it's hard to make suggestions. I will say, the most important part of queen rearing is the cell starter/finisher or the cell builder. I will leave you with a couple links...

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ilding-Methods

http://www.beesource.com/resources/e...t-cell-method/

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenre...htm#matingnucs

Good luck!
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

How many colonies are you running? How many queens are you looking to raise? Are you looking to raise your queens for requeening purposes or to sell? The answers to those questions could help determine what type of queen raising setup is best for you.

If you use the MDA splitter method all you need are a few NUC boxes, depending on how many hives you want to split. Using some variations of that method you can use a queen castle to do 3 or 4 queens in one box. If you only want queens to requeen or start a few hives all you need are a couple of queen excluders and some extra of whatever size of hive boxes you are using.

One piece of equipment that really helps in most methods is a queen excluder. I put them in between every box, then look for eggs 4 or 5 days later. The boxes with eggs have queens. This elliminates a lot of hunting around for queens. It is not a necessity, but very, very convenient.

Gearing up ahead is also recommended. I like to have enough queen bank frames, queen cages, mating boxes, drone colonies, nucleus boxes, double screen boards and full-size hive boxes ready for the number of queens I'm trying to raise. As Ray Marler suggests, the specific equipment depends a lot on your method of choice.

A great method for producing excellent queens in small quantity is the Jenter Box method. It costs about $90. You can order one through Blue Sky Bee Supply. That is probably one of the more expensive pieces of equipment, but money well-spent

Unless you started out your first year with a good number of colonies, split colonies, catch swarms, and buy nucleus colonies until you have 20 or 30 strong colonies to really begin a queen-making effort (below this level, splitting is good enough). But it does not hurt to start making or buying queen rearing and nucleus / increaser colony equipment ahead of time.

You could start out in the early spring by counting how many frames of uncapped brood, capped brood, honey, and pollen your apiary has, then deciding what is the appropriate number of queens to shoot for. Use conservative estimates and figure on raising high-quality queens instead of lots of low quality queens.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 12-12-2014 at 02:10 PM.

I have four beehives 1 top bar and three langs.My goal is to build up my apiary and then start producing high quality locally Bred Queens for my area.

How dos the Jenter Box method work? Isn't it the on were you isolate the queen in a plastic box on plastic comb with plugs on the bottom that you take out?

I have the Nicot system here, which is very similar to the Jenter system. Yes, it is a plastic box you put the queen in so she lays in plastic cells that have the cup behind the cells that she is actually laying into. When the eggs become larva, you remove the cups and put on a cell bar and put into a cell starter or cell builder for the bees to draw out into queen cells.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

You're on the right track. You don't have to buy that system yet if you don't want to spend the money, that would be good for later when you're doing 100 queens a batch. 4 colonies probably won't support that many queens. Just use cut cell, cell punch, MDA method this coming year. Jenter method is very easy and produces excellent queens if the money is not a problem, making it a good choice for those beginning in queen rearing.

Check out oldtimer's famous thread on Cut Cell (Henry Alley / Jay Smith method) from a couple years ago. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...thout-Grafting

You should check out Michael Palmer's method too, http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ilding-Methods

Also look on Michael Bush's website about the many different methods of queen rearing to which Ray gave links in post #3.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 12-14-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kilocharlie;Check out oldtimer's famous thread on Cut Cell (Henry Alley / Jay Smith method) from a couple years ago. [url
    www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?249478-Raising-Queen-Cells-Without-Grafting[/url]

I like the way that the cut cell method works. It is probably the simplest method I have seen.
    Thanks for the link!