Thread: Larvae age

Question Larvae age

I've read this on beesource before but can't find it again so I ask this question; at what point will the bees not make an emergency queen cell? From the day the egg is laid how many days before they will not make an emergency queen cell? I know in an emergency situation they will use larvae that's older than they normally would but what is that point?
    Thanks in advance for your info.

Default Re: Larvae age

this is what I THINK based on fuzzy memories. please don;t take this as a known truth. I THINK after 4 days, the larva is too old for them to elect to "queenify" her.

Quote Originally Posted by KPeacock View Post
    this is what I THINK based on fuzzy memories. please don;t take this as a known truth. I THINK after 4 days, the larva is too old for them to elect to "queenify" her.
    I was thinking it was 5 or 6 days but like you I'm not sure. I think normally you're right but in an emergency I may be right but maybe not. Maybe someone with more experience than us will reply and we'll both know as well as others. I do thank your for replying anyway.

Sometime on the third day

From the time the egg hatches until the resulting larvae is 2.5 days old, the bees can make a queen. The older the larvae, the less queen characters will be produced. In particular, the number of ovarioles that produce eggs will be reduced. From 2.5 days old to 4 days old, bees can produce intercaste queens that show part worker part queen characteristics. The best queens are consistently produced from eggs up to 12 hour old larvae. Steve Taber wrote quite a bit on this subject, also, quite a bit of research was done in the 1940 to 1970 time frame.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Sometime on the third day
    The egg hatches at 3 to 3 1/2 days. My question is how long from the time the egg is laid to when the larvae is too old for the bees to make an emergency queen cell.

Thanks Fusion power. From doing the math it would be 7 days from the time the egg is laid before they absolutely couldn't make a queen cell. If I got this right you really wouldn't want a queen made after the 5th day from the egg being laid with 4 days being ideal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
    From the time the egg hatches until the resulting larvae is 2.5 days old, the bees can make a queen. The older the larvae, the less queen characters will be produced. In particular, the number of ovarioles that produce eggs will be reduced. From 2.5 days old to 4 days old, bees can produce intercaste queens that show part worker part queen characteristics. The best queens are consistently produced from eggs up to 12 hour old larvae. Steve Taber wrote quite a bit on this subject, also, quite a bit of research was done in the 1940 to 1970 time frame.

>Thanks Fusion power. From doing the math it would be 7 days from the time the egg is laid before they absolutely couldn't make a queen cell.

Yes.

> If I got this right you really wouldn't want a queen made after the 5th day from the egg being laid with 4 days being ideal?

I wouldn't want one after the 4th day, but the bees will do what they can if they have to...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF