Default Bees real pissy today here in MI.

I am thinking that they are a little miffed due to the lack of rain which has set back the nectar flow. Golden rod should be blooming, but it has yet to.
    The girls were buzzing all over the outyard today by the hundreds with no real purpose in mind.

What are the rest of you MI guys experiencing?
    Note: Anyone can chime in, BTW. lol

Default Re: Bees real pissy today here in MI.

I just posted on another related thread what I am seeing with my bees. Their mood is not that bad, but they are ready to rob at the drop of a hat, nothing coming in except a little pollen from Rose of Sharon I believe, hive weights going down quickly, they are eating the honey from the supers that is not capped. I don't think lack of rain is the issue around here, goldenrod is taking a long time to flower because of the cool nights and days we have had up until the last couple days. It better be a good fall flow or this will go down as the worst season I can remember in a long, long time. This was IMO the "perfect storm" of a summer, everything that could have gone wrong weatherwise did.

My girls are testy too I see some glodenrod in bloom and its outside their range hive weighs are also down

Last Sunday I got stung on the finger while pulling a couple frames out of the top brood box. First time my bees have gone after me. Had one inside my veil, no stings fortunately and several trying to get in my veil. They did not want me around. Today I just pulled the top covers to peer into the only supers I have on them. Nothing. One hive had a spot of wax starting to be drawn but that was it. First year hives and the brood boxes are heavy but they aren't making anything for me.

As I approached the hive I hit the entrance with some smoke and one guard bee came right at my waist and head butted me but that was it.

Went back a couple hours later and came within 3 feet of the hive entrances and they were fine. But a lot of them hanging out on the front porch. More so than normal but not bearding. They were bringing in some yellow pollen though.

I'm starting to see goldenrod bloom. 1 hive is really crabby, 2 are ok, and 1 hive is downright vicious. I think the weather affected me much. I'm on 3rd honey super on all hives.

skosma, what year are these hive in? 3 supers on each hive. Sounds like a good harvest for you. Mine are first year from packages. Nothing in the supers at all. But I hear that is normal. Hive bodies are nice and heavy though.

3 are first year hives started from packages (2 Italian and 1 carnie) and hive number 4 was a very small swarm.

I see them bringing brown, white, yellow, and orange pollen. Quite a show!!

jmgi: and everyone: My hives were all of good temperment. My one very mean hive was much much calmer now. Its amazing how much better it was. Still not as calm as my others but only a few bees were bouncing off my veil. I did not dig deep into it though. Only top box and some frames from the brood chamber to make sure all was well. It was. I did hear the tone of the buzz change though as I put the boxes back on.