Default Funny looking bees

I have 3 hives and two are strong and healthy but the 3rd just does not seem to be thriving. They lost their queen in the spring and now have a new one but their numbers are not growing, they forage sporadically, are not drawing out comb, and have very little brood. Today I was inspecting the hive and noticed that some of the bees seem to be an odd colour - sort of a light grey. The whole hive was, in general, rather quiet and pathetic looking. The hive next to it which is the same age is bustling and happy, has lots of capped brood and is storing some serious amounts of honey. It is very frustrating. I thought earlier in the summer their new queen (which they made) was just a slow starter but now I am really getting worried. I saw her bustling about this morning so I know she is still in there. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Funny looking bees

It might not be related, but this thread might give you some clues:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ntifying-a-bee
    Try it. What could happen?

have you been feeding them? I had a slow hive, they were just hungry.
    Meridith
    I am frequently confused!

was it an emergency queen they made or supersedure ?
    i have seen different coloured bees in the same hive from the same queen as it depends which drone sperm she uses to fertilize the egg .she can mate with upto 20 on her mating flight.
    can you see the eggs in the comb ?
    is it random ?
    how long were they queenless ?
    newly emerged bees can look grey in colour also.
    balsam can make bees grey too the flowers drop grey dust on them .
    it will take around a month for the queen to start laying if that happens at the wrong time a lot of the foragers could have died .

i would try feeding them and inspect weekly to see if they recover.

I posted a picture and basically the same question a few weeks ago. I got a very good answer and from what I can tell, an accurate answer. The bees that look different and almost wasp like are bees that have taken to robbing and gotten covered with syrup and its either still wet or it dried and made all their hair flat and shiny and stuck to their body so you cant see it. So they look smaller, and a different color with almost no stripes or just one stripe on their back end. At first I didn't believe it, but after watching them and looking closer and then watching bees get wet from a bucket of syrup I left out, I became a believer. Its you bee, most likely from the same hive and probably the same color if it wasn't covered in sugar syrup. Thanks to sqkcrk for the answer.

"They are robber bees. They look that way from getting syrup on themselves and rubbing against each other. No, they are not wild bees. Do you have only one colony of bees? How do you know they aren't yours?"

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...are-these-Wild
    My blog and website: FromtheHive.org

If they are robbers and the hive has become dejected and lost it's desire to defend itself, close the entrance with screen wire at dusk so the bees cannot get out. If the next morning there are lots of bees trying to get in, then they are being robbed by the other hive and that would explain why the other hive is doing so well.

These discoloured bees are an odd dusty grey colour. I have never seen another bee the same colour as they are. They also seem very lethargic and given the state of the hive as a whole I am very concerned. My other hive is exactly the same age and is booming. They are not robbers and they are not robbers. I doubt they could even get up the energy to rob.

http://basilandbees.files.wordpress....layan-bees.jpg

do they look like that ?
    need more info to try and help but it's not sounding good for them.
    if the other colonies have robbed them because they are weak they could have just given up.

They do look a bit like that - dusty and really, really lethargic. I don't see a lot of sign of robbing mostly because I don't think robbing would be very lucrative for the other bees - the hive is really poor. I am feeding them and keeping my fingers crossed but also not holding out a lot of hope. They have had their new queen for at least a month - she seems really big and strong - there is some brood but not a lot.

Karen, you are feeding a weak hive nd the larger hives are robbing the feed. Put on a robber screen.
    Charlie

the pic was a bee that has been foraging on balsam it deposits grey powder on then when the go for the nectar.

can you see eggs in there ?
    what's the drone situation like in the hive ?

how many frames of bees would you say are left ?

you could try putting a frame of sealed brood in there from a stronger hive to try and help them as sealed brood don't need feeding .

if the queen is good you should be able to rescue them hopefully but over here the weather is starting to turn . not sure about where you are.