Default Add A Second Brood Box?

All,
    I can't reach my mentor so I need to rely on everyone's expertise.
    I am in North Georgia and at the end of July, picked up 2 10 frame hives that were started from nucs back in June. There weren't a huge number of bees in each hive but since I got the hives from my mentor, I knew they were in good shape and ready to go. The last inspection about a week ago showed that all frames are drawn but there wasn't a lot of honey stored and the queens were just beginning to lay again after the dearth. I was feeding the hives since I picked them up but not heavily. No more than a half a gallon a week.
    The goldenrod is beginning to flower here and I was wondering if I should add a second deep brood box to these hives? Will the bees draw out on the new foundation or is it too late for them to draw wax?
    The SHB has been kept in check but don't want to add to the bee's area to protect if they are not going to draw any more frames.
    I appreciated any direction you can give me.
    Thanks!

Default Re: Add A Second Brood Box?

You have empty drawn frames? They will not do anything with a new box until those frames are full.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

All of the frames in the bottom box are drawn, they just aren't full of brood or honey. So I should wait until most of the frames are occupied by something before putting on the new boxes? Will the undrawn frames in the new boxes get drawn this late in the season?
    Thanks!

I cannot speak to Georgia, here the only way I would get anything drawn this late is feeding heavily and then adding individual frames in the brood to the existing boxes. More of a repair than an expansion. They would not draw a new box this late. You can store all the removed frames in the strongest hive if there is enough bees.

A double full of stores is a good wintering size even here. You can make them expand if you want, but there is no need to add another box until they are in danger of running out of space. They are not likely to run out unless they are overfed.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.