Sad What am i doing wrong

OK here i go i have a hive with no queen and no young brood so i went to my other hive and grafted from it and i put in the grafts. Now i made sure all queen cells was gone none to be found and i put royal jelly in the cups before i grafted and i covered the grafts in a warm wet towel and then i put it in the the hive so i waited 24hrs. and went to get them out and put in my finisher hive and all the larvae was gone the jelly was gone nothing now they are wanting a queen i got plenty drones flying but what am i doing wrong i plan on grafting again wednesday that will give them over a week without a queen and young larvae will they take the grafts that i am going to do wednesday.

Thomas

Default Re: What am i doing wrong

Sounds like you have a queen in there to me.

You could try putting a frame of eggs & brood into that hive and see what happens. If they don't build queen cells all over it, then you know you have a queen and you'll have to find her.

I have the same thing happen with my first grafts in a starter hive, but then I realized I had gotten the queen in that hive by accident.

Did a big search in the hive and i did put some brood in the hive and they went right to it so i did not find any queens and no virgins so i am going to give it one more try then i will call it quits for this year but next year i will be at it again.

Remember, if you have a virgin queen in the hive and you inspect the hive during the day, she may be out on a mating flight. Look in early morning/late evening. The only reason a hive won't draw out queen cells is if they are queenright in some mannor or you missed a queen cell somewhere.

What do you mean by "they went right to it"? Did they build queen cells? If they didn't try to build queen cells from day 4-6 larva, then they have a queen. FWIW I have spent hours some days, trying to find a queen and other days I find her in a minute.