Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Love my TBH, don't care much for the Langstroth Hives

>Those who have long langs, do you make a sectional lid/inner cover of some kind so you don't have to open or expose the whole length of the hive when inspecting?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeshorizontalhives.htm
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/LongHive1.JPG

Typically my long hives have three regular migratory lids. The bees propolize the cracks.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Hi Michael, you were kind enough to give me some advise on my plans to build a long lang hive a couple of weeks ago when you were in Palm Beach. You suggested that I go to 48 inches long. If my calculations are right, that should let me have 37 frames.

It seems that a lot of people down here don't use inner covers. I'm thinking I'll use several inner covers but a single telescoping outer cover. I thought about using migratory covers but was worried about water getting in through the cracks.
    Sounds like the bees would put a stop to that.

My plan to add supers, if needed, was to cut a hole, that could be blocked, in the outer cover and set the super over the hole.

I'm very interested in what you have to say on this subject.

Notice to all you other beeks: Michael Bush can sing!

>ou suggested that I go to 48 inches long. If my calculations are right, that should let me have 37 frames.

If you use 1 3/8" frames it will be about 33. If you use 1 1/4" frames, it will be about 37.

>It seems that a lot of people down here don't use inner covers. I'm thinking I'll use several inner covers but a single telescoping outer cover.

Why telescopic? It will be heavier, and more work and material to build.

> I thought about using migratory covers but was worried about water getting in through the cracks.
    Sounds like the bees would put a stop to that.

For the most part. Sometimes they swell when it rains, and shrink when it's hot and open a gap, but typically they bees have filled it with propolis.

>My plan to add supers, if needed, was to cut a hole, that could be blocked, in the outer cover and set the super over the hole.

My supers are setting on the box. I just pull the front cover. and put that cover on top of the supers...

I also have the entrance built into the front cover. So they are now flying through the super to get into the hive.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

My top cover is split. One side is sized to fit a standard lang box. The other is used to cover the rest of the hive. I use a tin cover as roof material.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12