Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Where to buy oxalic acid vaporizer

Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post

or use repeat Q 7-14 days.
    Not sure by what you mean here but with brood present apply once weekly for 3 weeks.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

you guys do it differently from us.
    oa is never vaporized here .
    never used when brood present .
    we use other treatments after honey harvest then in winter drizzle OA and sugar solution over the cluster .

MAQS is the new one but i haven't used it yet . those that have say it's good but don't be alarmed when you see a few hundred dead bees.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige.Coll View Post
    You guys do it differently from us.
    We're just ahead of the learning curve! Heck, each one of us does it differently than the other!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Some countries in Europe have used OA vaporization long before North Americans started using it.

Glen

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    I had to make up a jumper cable from a 25' extension cord. It's fairly small gauge wire, maybe 16ga. With a small car battery, it takes 3 min. I let it cool down in the hive for a minute, then pull it out and dip it in a jar of water to really cool it off. Then I wipe it out and move to the next. Most object to having something shoved in their front door, others not so much. I've watched through an observation window in a TBH and they don't seem to react much at all.

I just built my latest prototype. Small block of aluminum with two diesel glow plugs. It works perfectly. I tried 16 ga wire, but that got a little warm. Not real hot, but very warm to the touch. I ended up going with 10ga, which does not heat up at all. Even though I used a 1/2-aluminum stock, I still can't get it in the hive entrance, so I used under the screened bottom board. After disconnecting the battery it stays hot enough to vaporize more OA for several minutes.

image.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honey Badger Don't Care ಠ_ಠ ~=[,,_,,]:3

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    Some countries in Europe have used OA vaporization long before North Americans started using it.

Glen
    funny how Europe tends to be much "greener" than the U.S and bans all sorts of pesticides and agriculture practices that we commonly use, yet they allow the use of OA.

if it is good enough on the other side of the Atlantic, it's good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nabber86 View Post
    I tried 16 ga wire, but that got a little warm. Not real hot, but very warm to the touch. I ended up going with 10ga, which does not heat up at all.
    My first jumper cord was 10ga household electric wire but I found it too stiff and it tended to torque the unit so it would not lie flat in the hive. Testing in open air seems to be that vaporization time was nearly the same.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Nice work on the vaporizer Nabber.
    Have you made one with a single heater? And if so do you prefer the dual or single?
    I have two heater ready to go, just need to scrounge up some free aluminium plate!

Glen

> 10ga household electric wire but I found it too stiff

You may have had the commonly available "solid" 10 ga wire. "Stranded" 10 ga wire is considerably more flexible than solid.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_61276-226-11...age&facetInfo=

The link is to a 500 ft spool of stranded, but most Lowes and competitors also sell this type of wire by the foot. Also auto parts stores usually have small packages available.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I figure if it takes the same time, why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    > 10ga household electric wire but I found it too stiff

You may have had the commonly available "solid" 10 ga wire. "Stranded" 10 ga wire is considerably more flexible than solid.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_61276-226-11...age&facetInfo=

The link is to a 500 ft spool of stranded, but most Lowes and competitors also sell this type of wire by the foot. Also auto parts stores usually have small packages availabl.

The 16 ga that I was using romex house wiring (solid) - Way to stiff. The 10 ga I found at H. Depot was stranded and had pretty good flex. I am thinking that 12 ga stranded would be the best combination of flex and current capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen H View Post
    Nice work on the vaporizer Nabber.
    Have you made one with a single heater? And if so do you prefer the dual or single?
    I have two heater ready to go, just need to scrounge up some free aluminium plate!

Glen
    i made several prototypes. I like the 2 glow plugs better. That way you can grind out a channel longitudinal (lengthwise) in the aluminum and heat from both sides.

If you live near a decent size town look for a store called "Metal by the foot", or something like that. They will cut to length any type of metal that you want. I found a piece in their scap bin for $2. It was 1/2-inch thick by 2-inch wide bar stock, and about 4 inches long. Perfect for the job. You might see if the ship to Canada.

http://www.metalbythefoot.com/

Not to beat the wire gauge thing to death, but an extension cord with a bad end seems perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by cg3 View Post
    Not to beat the wire gauge thing to death, but an extension cord with a bad end seems perfect.
    That's what I use although I don't run a 2 plug set up. I like the dual plugs idea.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

I used a two wire, 16 gage WHITE extension cord (to see easier in the grass). I cut the male end off and attached it to the vaporizer. I also placed an on/off button close to where I attach the male end to the vaporizer (lot easier to flip a switch than to deal with battery clips). On the end where I cut off the the male end, I attached battery clips.

Now I've got an extension cord attached to my car battery and a vaporizer with a two plug male attachment with an on/off switch. All I need to do now is plug in my vaporizer to the extension card, put the OA in the cup, place it in the hive and flip a switch. No more running back the battery. Attach some male ends to other vaporizers (along with the on / off switch) and it's easy to run several vaporizers in-line by simply plugging them into the extension cord.

OR you could just put one on/off switch on the extension cord that will turn ALL the vaporizers on / off at the same time....
    Last edited by snl; 09-04-2013 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nige.Coll View Post
    you guys do it differently from us.
    oa is never vaporized here .
    never used when brood present .
    we
    lots of beekeepers use oxalic sublimation in the UK, with brood present and in winter when broodless.

I use the Sublimox apf evaporator, not cheap to buy, but good for treating a lot of hives fast. Each treatment takes only 25 seconds, no cooling down or delay between hives, just keep filling and treating, only a quarter inch hole needed in the hive, or blow in entrance.

http://translate.google.co.uk/transl...en-US:official

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bby6r1qWxys

yes i have learned that.
    i am a new keeper and still on a steep learning curve.
    i made a vapourizer from a travel kettle and it's the best thing i have done .

i stand corrected..
    if i hadn't read this thread i wouldn't have thought to do it.
    my bees thank you.

a proper vapourizer is at the top of my christmas list.
    the teacher of the course i did was dead against the use of it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by dingo983 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but are you supposed to remove the supers before you OA vaporize?
    Yes, according to BioVet, you remove the supers. What I do is just raise them up slightly (if you can) and slip a piece of coroplast between the super and brood chamber.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123