Default Insecticide in Neighbor's property next door to my bee yard

Hi Everyone,

My new neighbor bought and cleared property next door to my bee yard.
    He says he's deciding whether to plant a Pine tree farm or Fruit trees or maybe both.
    He told me he would spray his fruit trees in February. That is, if he plants fruit trees.

I know this is a long way from February, and he hasn't decided yet, but I want to know what to do if he plants & sprays fruit trees.
    I have other property to move my hives to, but its about 16 to 20 miles round trip. Not exactly a killer situation I know, but I like to visit my bees at least a few times every day. Plus, I think the other property doesn't have as good a supply of resources as my original bee yard.

If he does the fruit orchard should I just move my hives permanently or move them for a few months.
    How long is the insecticide a danger to bees after the trees are sprayed?

Thanks
    bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Default Re: Insecticide in Neighbor's property next door to my bee yard

Everything you are asking will be on the label of the pesticide he uses. Things to watch out for are any sprays applied while the trees are in blossum and the he keeps the flowering ground weeds mowed, sprayed or both. All insecticide spraying needs to be done at night

It will depend on what he uses as sprays, but most sprays won't be a problem for the bees unless he has a lot of flowering weeds in the orchard that get sprayed when they are blooming or he sprays insecticides when the trees are blooming. Growing up we had 24-40 hives in our cherry orchard 30 feet from the tree rows (10 feet from the sprayer as it went by) and we just turned off the nozzles on that side of the sprayer as we went by every 10-14 days from petal drop to harvest. We never had a problem.

I have boths sets of my hives in orchards that get sprayed. At home some of my hives are actually under fruit trees. Yes, its a hassle when you get 3 honey supers on 2 deep boxes under a fruit tree, but I have too many hives and bear problems. As long as labels are followed (no flowering plants being visited by bees) and he isn't spraying sevin or something similar I doubt that it will be a big problem. I would just ask that he let you know when he is going to spray and let you see the label.
    Last edited by beedeetee; 08-22-2013 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Bruce

bnt...He should be as concerned with protecting your bees as you are. You are creating the perfect scenario for his crops. I agree with what has been said previously, and I would also add that you ask him to be extremely aware of wind speed and direction when spraying, so that any overspray goes away from your bee yard. Also, if he applies in a more liquid form it will reduce problems compared to aerosolized application methods. Still a scary situation, but there are ways to reduce your risks.

I agree with much of the above.

most apple sprays for the home orchardist are not applied during bloom (if they are they can kill the pollinators and thus, low fruit yield). They are applied in dormant stages and early budding stages, post blossom fruit set (bees ignore apple trees during these times). I would give him your bat phone number and just ask him to please call to let you know when he is going to spray (in advance if possible, so you can block in your hives during spraying times). Remind him your bees are going to bumping his crop up.

One other thing to note, bees don't just love apple tree blossoms. They pretty much get ignored until they start to flow nectar (at least that has been my experience). Now when teh apple blossoms are flowing nectar... they hit the blossoms hard.

Hi,

And thanks to you all for the information. Now I can relax about him doing whichever kind of farm he wants. That is, keeping in mind the precautions you all recommended.

I guess I should have said he mentioned planting pear trees. Its good to know bees ignore apple trees. I would never have guesses that. And the guy told me he has kept a few hives for a while, but they were lazy and he let gave them away.

I'm sure glad I asked the question instead of deciding on my own to move my yard. That's one of the beauties of the forum. People with experience sharing information.

Thanks again,
    bnt
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God

Just ask him to let you know the day before he sprays. Ask him to spray as early in the morning as possible. Then just screen your bees in the night before and allow the spray to dry before you release them the next day and all will be well. This will apply to any crop that he plants. It's a little bit of trouble, but it will work and most pesticides do not harm bees once they dry on the plants.

It sounds like he is concerned about your bees, and probably will be glad to try and work with you to minimize damage.

Quote Originally Posted by beesintrees View Post
    Hi,

And thanks to you all for the information. Now I can relax about him doing whichever kind of farm he wants. That is, keeping in mind the precautions you all recommended.

I guess I should have said he mentioned planting pear trees. Its good to know bees ignore apple trees. I would never have guesses that. And the guy told me he has kept a few hives for a while, but they were lazy and he let gave them away.

I'm sure glad I asked the question instead of deciding on my own to move my yard. That's one of the beauties of the forum. People with experience sharing information.

Thanks again,
    bnt
    this is during budding. They love them when in blossom. As I said earlier things like dandelions growing under the trees can become a big problem. Make sure he mows and or sprays them.

Quote Originally Posted by beesintrees View Post
    Its good to know bees ignore apple trees. I would never have guesses that.
    I think you may be misunderstanding the comment by Beelosopher. Bees do work apple tree blossoms, but Beelosopher was pointing out that bees are not interested in apple trees when there are no blossoms.

My bees certainly are very active in my apple trees when they are in bloom.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    Just ask him to let you know the day before he sprays. Ask him to spray as early in the morning as possible. Then just screen your bees in the night before and allow the spray to dry before you release them the next day and all will be well.
    Agreed. This is one more reason to make sure you maintain good relationships with your neighbors. Collaboration is a win-win.

Just the fact that you ask him to give you a call will keep him inline. He will know you are paying attention. The farmers around me always call for any application even if its something like a herbicide that has no effect on the bee's

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I think you may be misunderstanding the comment by Beelosopher. Bees do work apple tree blossoms, but Beelosopher was pointing out that bees are not interested in apple trees when there are no blossoms.

My bees certainly are very active in my apple trees when they are in bloom.
    I read his post again and you're absolutely right. I didn't allow everything he said register as I should have. Thanks for ringing my bell on that one.

bnt

And thanks again to all who responded.
    Let's turn it around
    America Bless God