Default What plant is this?

These are just about to pop in my area. This is in someone's garden, but there is a bunch of this stuff spread out around us. It looks/smells like some kind of sage, but I can't find it in any sort of literature describing the different sages in my area.

TIA

I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Default Re: What plant is this?

It is Grey Rabbit brush. A very good source of highly nutritious pollen. The latin name is Chrysothamnus nauseousom. It smells bad tastes worse, and is supposed to give a very unpleasant taste to the honey. We have it too and I have not tasted any bad honey. Maybe we do not have enough. I have been told that in areas where there are abundant plants they pull the supers when it starts to bloom. I wish we had more of it. If it is really dry the bees may not work it.
    Dave

Default Re: What plant is this?

Dave is correct its Rabbit Brush or commonly known as Chamisa. It grows in GREAT abundance here in New Mexico and provides a valuable source of pollen and does secret nectar for fall storage. In all my years I have never seen bees refuse it. I have tasted the honey once gathered, and while strong it is hardly offensive. Its impossible to transplant as the roots go down over 20'.
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti