Default Required Reading

If you read nothing else this month read "Reflections on the Honey Bee Health Summit" by Randy Oliver in the August Issue of American Bee Journal. I especially liked the part subtitled "The Evolution of Beekeeping".

When Randy wrote "And then in the winter of 2004/2005 a perfect storm of poor forage, miticide failure, and the varroa/virus complex caused large-scale colony collapse." I thought that pretty much illustrated my experience going from 732 colonies in May 2004 to 100 colonies in March 2005.

"Practical Application: it appears to me that our feral population of bees is finally rebounding from its decimation due to the invasion of varroa, and that the hobby beekeepers who are keeping feral/survivor stock are the first to be taking advantage of this event (rhis is not to discount the realitively few queen producers who are also breeding survivor stock.) Could it be that we are finally seeing the tide coming back in, and that we will be able someday to go back to the "semi-wild bee in the box" model of beekeeping? I sure hope so!"
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Default Re: Required Reading

Thanks for the information. I'm not taking the ABJ this year, but I will look for the article.

For illiterates like myself who do not get the ABJ, will there at some future time be a link to that article?

If not, what does ABJ cost for a year?
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I don't know if it could be accessed via a link. Maybe Rader could handle that. Check the online version. Probably americanbeejournal.com. Or abj.com.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    For illiterates like myself who do not get the ABJ, will there at some future time be a link to that article?

If not, what does ABJ cost for a year?
    randy usually put his articles on his website a month or so after they appear in print.

http://scientificbeekeeping.com/arti...lication-date/
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

Thanks.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

It's not too expensive if you get it electronically, I found it much harder to read... I like Randy, I'll have to check this article out.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook