Default question about cells open but with black things in the bottom

I have a few issues. First is these black cells that I have in newly drawn frames. They are on the frames that are second in from each side (1 on each side). are the black cells actually dead brood that turned black? all my other frames have nice white moist looking brood and what I believe is a lot of capped brood (reddish brown caps).

next, I installed the five frame nuc on july 8. the 2 outer frames are untouched (they are plastic foundation, and I just switched them to wax) the next two frames in (1 on each side) each have one side nicely working, built way out, but no brood or caps. so I guess if you add the halves, I have 7 frames drawn out. Is it ok to wait til next weekend to add my second hive body? and is this hive taking exceptionally long to fill up? I will say, my bee population has definitely increased, which makes me feel good.

I think all is well, but could use a little reassurance and advice if anyone feels I am making mistakes. Thanks.

todd

Default Re: question about cells open but with black things in the bottom

How about a photo so we can see what you are talking about.

Like Kidbeeyoz says a picture would help a great deal in trying to understand your first issue.

Your second question concerning if it is ok to wait until next weekend to add a second box is easier to address without pictures. My answer is the 2nd box should not be added until all of the frames in the first box are drawn and are 80% in use.

So by my logic it is doubtful that the bees will be ready for a box next weekend.

I understand fall is almost here and that you want the bees in two boxes for wintering.

At this time of year it is very hard to get bees to draw out foundation. You may be able to get them to draw out frames if you are in a flow or if you make them think they are in a flow by providing them with sugar syrup. Are you currently providing syrup?

My big concern is getting the hive ready for winter - and I think for better or worse you will be over wintering these bees in one deep. Is that ideal? No. Can it be done? Yes.

I'd force the bees to draw out the remaining frames and supplement whatever natural nectar and pollen the bees have collected with sugar syrup and pollen sub. It is important to remember that you are prepping your bees not just for winter but spring buildup too.

I believe there are lots of clubs and people knowledgeable about bees in your area, and I encourage you to seek someone out and arrange to have your hive looked at. http://www.njbeekeepers.org/ may help.

It is super important especially when overwintering a single to make sure there are adequate stores in the box for winter.

I suspect that the root cause of your dilema is an under-performing queen. I would replace her ASAP unless there is some other good explanation for the colony to not have built up. A nuc started in early July in New Jersey ought to be well into their second box by now.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I realized that I made an assumption that you have 1 hive. If you have more than one I would suggest combining this hive (after pinching the queen) with another.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Your assumption is correct. Only one hive (I am understandint now why you should start with 2 or more.)
    Thank you for your input on this. I think I will seek help from someone. Thanks again.

I feel kinda silly for not taking a pic. I don't want to open them up again but I can describe it better. Its not so much a black thing in the cells but the cells are just colored black at the bottom. Yes, I am feeding 1:1 syrup. And I have pollen sup. In the fridge. I will start that again. I was told to stop pollen pattie because they may attract hive beetles.

the frames that have the black in the bottom aren't black plastic frames are they?
    Just wondering because you said you had just replaced some other plastic frames with wax frames.

If it's not black from the wax being built onto plastic frames it could be pollen but it's hard to say without a photo

No. The black plastic frames were the untouched frames so I replaced them with wax foundation. In a fww days I will move the untouched frames inward and move out a few deawn frames with stores.

Are the black cells that you speak like the ones in this picture?
    [/URL]

Yes, but with nothing in it. Its a frame that they just started to draw out and a few cells are black at the bottom. They were brand new foundations. Basically the bottoms don't have black things in them, just stained black. Im starting to think it is normal but just looks odd to my untrained eye due to it being a brand new foundation. All the cells look black in old established frames. I see stuff and assume everything is a problem. Starting to realize that I am my biggest problem. Lol