Default Beetles in Observation Hive

I have a four frame observation hive. Two frames stacked on top of each other. Have hive beetles in it. How do I treat and kill those buggers?

Default Re: Beetles in Observation Hive

I put a beetle jail trap in my observation hive. Instead of using vegetable oil, I use powdered garden lime. I had read that dead beetles in vegetable oil will stink after awhile, whereas they do not in lime.

I do hope you get some more replies, as I am interested in knowing about other options.

Default Re: Beetles in Observation Hive

Quote Originally Posted by BooneCtyBeek View Post
    I have a four frame observation hive. Two frames stacked on top of each other. Have hive beetles in it. How do I treat and kill those buggers?
    Found a bottom board with a pan for oil. Works great when the hives are sufficiently staffed for knocking beetles down thru the mesh and to their doom. (insert evil laugh here) This does a great job of drowning insects. Drawback is when he girls find their way down. Also they "drown"a lot of pollen basket nuggets. But I left out the strained contents and critters appear to have taken away the strained, oil-logged pollen. Yrmv

While there may not be a tailored fix for your hiveon the site, you could macgyver the do-it-yourself dimensions to suit your needs.
    Last edited by DocHivetool; 08-16-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling