Thread: MAQS and SHB

Default MAQS and SHB

Hello.
    Seen something interesting in one of my hives that I thought I would share. I have a hive with a sbb that has a built in west hive beetle trap. When I treated it yesterday with MAQS, I placed a white board on top of the trap to get a mite drop count. When I checked it this morning I was surprised to see about dozen SHB on the board. They were moving and seemed fine, until I smashed them, that is. I average around finding 4 or 5 dead beetles a week in the trap, but have never seen any live ones. The only thing I can think of is the mite-away strips must have driven them down out of the hive. I check the trap at least 3 times a week, and have never see that before. Has anyone else noticed this? By the way, there was also a lot of dead mites on the board, the MAQS seem to be working very well.

Default Re: MAQS and SHB

Yes, I have noticed that the formic acid pads will drive beetles out of colonies. Mine were beetle free for a month after the pads were applied.

Thanks, that is good news.

I'm interested, I have a neighbor that had there hives fail and get robbed out, put sticky boards on and I know where there mites went. Went to put MAQS on to treat and I also know where there beetles went, popped the top of one hive and the entire inner cover was full of beetle's, looked like escaped convicts running for the exits, I mean hundreds of them, got about 50, took the top super off and smacked it on the outer cover and got more but the rest ran for cover. put the MAQ on, came back the next day and expected to pop the top and get a few more, not one to bee seen, beetle trap had no beetles in it, will let you know if 4 or 5 days if the beetles left of the bees lost control and the hive gets slimed.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Larry,
    Did you use one or two pads?

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    Larry,
    Did you use one or two pads?
    I used 2 pads on top of the frames of the brood chamber. I was concerned it might be rough on the bees, but so far everything seems the same. They are bearding some, but they were doing that before the treatment.

It must be warmer than 85 in Georgia. I need to treat my bees soon but am concerned about temps being too high. Tell us how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    It must be warmer than 85 in Georgia. I need to treat my bees soon but am concerned about temps being too high. Tell us how it goes.
    Actually right now there is a front, or wedge or something goin' on, and we had a high of 70F! Supposed to be in the 70's for a couple more days...and raining.

Quote Originally Posted by wildbranch2007 View Post
    put the MAQ on, came back the next day and expected to pop the top and get a few more, not one to bee seen, beetle trap had no beetles in it, will let you know if 4 or 5 days if the beetles left of the bees lost control and the hive gets slimed.
    checked yesterday, 5 days after applying Maqs, beetles were back in the hives, using the better beetle blaster to hide under, still none in the beetle blaster. but so far less beetles than b/4 the Maqs were applied.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon