Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Thoughts on a Fall Flow in the Northeast??

Quote Originally Posted by gwpeter911 View Post
    Why don't birds eat those things? They could stuff themselves full!
    Chickens will eat them like vultures. Last year we had buckets full. This year we have but a few.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

A local beekeeping friend texted the following to me this morning :

"Lots of purple loosestrife blooming And knotweed is looking ready to go."
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    Why so amazing? The plant came from Europe and our European bees grew up with it.

Loosestrife isn't the only invasive that has become a nectar source. Think Honeysuckle, Buckthorn, Clover, Spotted Knapweed, Starthistle, and many others.

And the Gov't talks about saving the bees, but at the same time is trying to destroy the very plants that help the bees.
    Good point. The "invasive" species are simply doing what nature does best. Give an organism what it needs and it will thrive. It is also ironic that many of the invasive plants hold medicinal and neutriceutical properties as well. Japanese knotweed for example is the primary source of a popular antioxidant known as Resveritrol. (Think red wine). Also the point of homo sapiens as invasive is equal noted. Goldenrod and Japanese knotweed have fed my bees for many winters.

Read "Guns, Germs, and Steel" to learn about invasive humans. Pretty interesting.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Just amazing, that the more I research nectar sources for our "invasive, non-native" honeybees, I find their favorite nectar sources are plants that here in NA, botanically are classified as noxious, invasive, black listed, eradicate on site plants like loostrife, Japanese knotweed, etc...our bees come from the Eurasian area, makes sense their preferred nectar/pollen sources are what we consider "exotic"...just musing about...

girls just started bringing pollen in again last week, not a bonanza by any means-but nice to see something coming again- didn't see much in from joe pye weed, hoping the GR and loosestrife build up some more than whats coming in presently, asters just starting to make an appearance-I would think the decent rainfall, and cool summer in general would mean a decent autumn flow-hears to hope!!!

Japanese Beetles will ruin a plant's pollen/nectar by invading them in the spring? I hadn't heard of that.

Yes, chickens love the beetles, but they have to be able to reach them. On my growth the beetles seem to mainly stay about 4' off the ground (or maybe the lower ones are just eaten). Chickens will eat the beetle grubs in the ground tho, so that helps.

I agree with Mark about invasive. All plants and and animals are meant to move into any niche they can prosper in. It's also natural for people to encourage the benefitials and discourage the others. The government has never been good at deciding which is which.

Well the goldenrod that the bees like is finally blooming and I must say my nucs need it.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 30 hives==== T{OAV}

Some loosestrife blooming but no flow. Beetles did their job.
    I'm seeing a lot more loosestrife this year. Bees really didn't start working it hard until this week down here. Maybe the beetles are dying out?

Bees were into everything yesterday - saw many on the last of the Showy Fireweed and they were paying attention to the GR and Aster too. Still, there seems to be a slowdown in nectar that I hoped wouldn't happen until the first killing frost. Hmmmmmm. 51 was the low temp overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    Are they getting honey or pollen or both from purple loosestrife? Amazing such a highly invasive plant is helpful!
    Invasive is another word for good bee forage.

Was about to move a hive over to an area with a lot of Japanese Knotweed, noticed this morning that it was hacked down and what was left over over was drooping and dying. Probably sprayed!! Noticed a few other areas hit too. Hope none of my girls get into the crap they spray!
    I'll Definitly be cautious moving a hive near that stuff if it's going to be targeted for destruction.
    No wonder the bees are dying off...

I've been seeing quite a bit of Joe Pye Weed in flower. The Japenese Knotweed is just starting to open in flower - at least along the creek banks. The early Goldenrod is out and blooming.

I was just out lastnight and put an empty hive body with frames on top of the hives - so IF the girls need the room for making honey, they have it. They will just have to draw out the comb. I was expecting the girls to explode out when I opened the top cover, and while there were alot of bees in the top level, they were good natured.

I'm hoping we have a good Fall flow since Summer was so cool and rainy. But as cool as what it's been, I keep getting the feeling of an earlier frost than usual.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12