Default bee eating birds!

I was out by one of my hive stands this morning and got to watch a flock of Purple Martins flying back and forth threw the flight line of the bees. They are obviously eating bees!. I read that the Purple Martin will eat it's weight in bugs daily. I hope this is not going to be a constant thing. I don't see as there is any thing that I can do, short of some wing shooting, and that is illegal. And I thought Varoa mites were bad!

Bill S

Default Re: bee eating birds!

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I was out by one of my hive stands this morning and got to watch a flock of Purple Martins flying back and forth threw the flight line of the bees. They are obviously eating bees!. I read that the Purple Martin will eat it's weight in bugs daily. I hope this is not going to be a constant thing. I don't see as there is any thing that I can do, short of some wing shooting, and that is illegal. And I thought Varoa mites were bad!

Bill S
    My Martin houses are about 50 feet from my hives. I'm sure they eat the occasional bee, but they usually fly/hunt much higher than the bees fly.

There are some kind of little wrens around here in the late spring that sit on the fence post about 20 ft behind some of my hives and wait to eat bees.

If I saw a "bee eating birds" it would get my attention... oh... I guess it was some bee-eating birds... nevermind.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

me too Michael!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    If I saw a "bee eating birds" it would get my attention... oh... I guess it was some bee-eating birds... nevermind.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Like:

"Let's eat Grandma."
    "Let's eat, Grandma."

Punctuation saves lives.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

Bill S
    I have my martin houses about 100 ft from my hives. I have a total of 40 martin nesting boxes and they were pretty much all occupied this spring and summer. I raised 9 queens and had 4 swarms that raised their own queens. I only had two that were not successful. I am sure that the martins eat a few bees, but I agree that most of the bees that I see flying are a lot lower to the ground than the martins are flying. I expect that most bees that they eat would be drones and queens....and from my experience so far they do not seem to be a big deal.

Mockingbirds are really bad about catching bees. Last Spring, I had one female that sat on the landing board and caught bees as they landed. She would fly off, and then come back. I don't see her as often now that her Spring hatching is finished. I threatened to shoot her, but never did.

I have also observed catbirds catching bees. Dragonflies will catch lots of bees also.

cchoganjr

This blue jay has been working my five hives at home for a few months. You can see from my shoes I was trying to take an outdoor nap after work, his squawking as he ate bees kept me awake. The hive is from a recent cut out from inside a fence, 2nd picture.

SOme neighborhood catbirds spend a lot of time hanging out behind our hives in the backyard

Martins here patrol my back yard at about 3 to 6 feet off the ground. Catching mosquitos I suppose.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

I have the biggest bird feeder in town it's a wonder the queens ever mate with all the swallows we have in these parts.
    I think some have type two diabetes they eat so many bees to much sugar .