Default Anyone Polinate Pumpkins in Illinois?

I was curious if any of you commercials Beeks pollinate the pumpkin crop in central Illinois, the largest pumpkin producing area in the world. Thanks for your replies!
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Default Re: Anyone Polinate Pumpkins in Illinois?

They refused to pay my 85.00 a colony (doubles) so I said no. Pumpkins are notoriously hard on my bees. They are the last crop I pollinate before bringing them to florida and usually they are limping to florida when they are done.

There are lots of large commercial guys down there that pollinate pumpkins. I know of four that run over 2000 hives each that do it. They usually do cucumbers before and after to make it worth it.

Why are they hard on bees? A friend of mine has a hobby pumpkin farm. Tons of feral bees working it. I was going to place a hive there next year (no money). Bad idea?

We have 24 colonies on 40 acres of pumpkins and the bees do fine.
    -Phil Domeier
    www.nowthenhoney.com

Thanks for all the replies. I have family in the the area of Morton IL where Libby's grows large tracts of pumpkins. I was hoping to find a contact to take my bees North next summer. Our honey flow here is real early and by the time pumpkins bloom, our primary flow will be in decline. If they won't pay $85/hive, it wouldn't bee worth it. My family said they see hives moved into the fields during pollination season there. May be some local Beekeepers.
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet