Thread: 2 queens in nuc

Default 2 queens in nuc

I am a 1st year keeper and have a nuc that I made by moving a frame with several queen cells from one of my 3 main hives. According to the queen rearing calendar, I am at the point of seeing larva. I checked yesterday and do have larva/eggs, but also the 2 queens. One is very nice and large, the other shorter and skinnier. Should I pinch the smaller queen so as not to have her kill the larger queen? The larger queen looks as good as her mother, and I would like her to survive..

Default Re: 2 queens in nuc

What date do you think you are at?

Sometimes the calendar isn't actually correct. I say that because depending on weather, mated status of queen, and other undeterminable circumstances I've seen it take another week or so - before I start see eggs/larva. I usually don't start worrying about whether I'm seeing any 'evidence' until I know it's been about 28 days since inception. As you moved the queen cells over, and didn't do any type of grafting - I'd probably wait a few more days to a week..just to be sure.

As far as the 2 queens - I'd only kill the smaller one IF I knew for sure she was a queen. It sounds like you perhaps might have moved the old queen over with the split and that could be the reasoning for having 2 queens in the same box - especially if the 2nd one is significantly smaller. She might be a queen, but hasn't mated "enough or well" and hence her size - and the reasoning you are have eggs/larva in the new split/hive. Have you found the original queen - in the original hive since moving, and do you have eggs/larva there? How many days did you do the split - as this could help in locating eggs/larva in the older box.

I stand corrected !
    Calendar has a 7-12 start date, queens hatched 7-26, a day early, as I saw them both then. No grafting, I put a frame with eggs in THIS nuc that I thought had not made a queen from the original queen cells given to it. I have not looked into it again until yesterday. It now seems to me that they had a queen from the cells, and I am now seeing her and the new queen from the frame of eggs. At this point, the smaller queen should have mated by now. SO, should I keep her, pinch here, keep her for another nuc ? She is maybe 3/4 the size of the other queen.

Make another nuc and shake some nurse bees in there and see what happens.