Default Jenter - eating my eggs

I have done two attempts to make my own queens but...

When I put out the queen from the Jenter bees are eating my eggs!

My program I follow

- I put some honey in the system and leave it for 5 days in the hive to prepare it the bees.

- then i put the king in for 24 hours

-after this I release king, immediately after this I saw one bee getting in the cell and eating the eggs!

*I have the frame with the Jenter between 2 frames will full of eggs and larvae.

* they told me to try leaving the king 3 days after the born until I see larvae and then take them but I'm afraid that see will double and triple born in the same cell.

Any advice?

Default Re: Jenter - eating my eggs

You are on the right track. Sometimes in a dearth, though, they don't seem to want to raise queens or even much larvae. If you confine the queen longer, she will lay doubles and triples. I would have the Jenter box in the brood nest the entire time. When the queen is confined, when she is released etc. I want open brood in the frames on each side of the Jenter box. Feeding might change the situation.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I understand, i want press my king leaving her four days in the jenter.

I think maybe its of the hot, now its the hottest month of the year about 34oc - 93oF.

Too hot and maybe too late.
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

I do this only for test to be ready for next year.

But in my place end of August begin two powerful flowers full of yeast and honey, it keeps two months.

The one is said to be ideal food for kings.

M Bush is right.

By the way, I'm in Greece too. In Kefalonia. I started beekeeping last year, late May, with 4 hives. I now have ten. I started raising queens (king = vasilias, queen = vasilissa) last September, even did a cut down split as late as Oct 31, and got two good queens from it that started laying first week of December and survived the winter!

These were very strong queens and filled up their deeps and swarmed by late March/early April. I was too late in adding a deep.

I don't have a real winter here in Kefalonia - I do not keep my bees in the mountains, so they don't get cold either. They gather pollen every month of the year. August is the worst month, though. In winter, moisture is the problem. Got to keep them dry.

Check your hives for drones (kifines) sometime in late September/October. You may be surprised. If you see a lot, and if your winter is not too bad, you may have a chance at raising a queen or two. Just make sure you have enough bees to support her when she starts laying.

Although I read a lot on beekeeping, and did experiments all year, I still have a lot to learn. I'm just telling you what I have experienced in a similar(?) climate.

haha! queen, you have right!

We are neighbours, i'm from preveza!

Thank for your advice, i saw last year that bees haven't problem in winter. Only 1 month total they stay closed in their hives and this because it is raining.

Now the jenter is something different, if they don΄t like it they will not leave you eggs to make queens.

My third attempt in a different hive was negative

Now i will test something else, when she will lay i will release her and i'll move the frame in the 8th place of the hive.

They told me that this will maybe work because when we put jenter in the middle of the hive in a black frame without any other egg this is strange for the bees. The center of the hive is the place which is full of eggs, so this is strange that the queen have lay only in the jenter in the middle of the honeycomb.

I believe that they "clean" the eggs because of the hot, one friend with ezi queen system have the same problem and he raising queens for some years.

As i told before this is only for test to be ready for the next year
    Last edited by newbee82; 08-24-2013 at 02:07 AM.

I used the Nicot it is in a mini frame nuc I left the queen in for about 3 month. Added brood from other nucs to keep it going. At first placement put a frame of eggs and just hatching eggs to keep nurse bees just across from your grid, do this when you place queen into grid.

Go to my web page it may help

WWW.vlwbeequeens.com go to blog its for reading it wont let you comment

Can anyone tell me what will happen if I release the queen the day after the born and then take the frame with the Jenter only and put it in orphan beehive?

I can't really address your issues with the Jenter, since I've never used any of the graftless systems. But, I do have experience growing queens in a hot and dry climate. I keep all my queen rearing efforts under the shade of a large tree. In the driest times I use a fogging/humidifying/cooling system, mounted on the tree branches. Whenever there is no honeyflow, I feed so the bees think there is a honeyflow.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

23-02-2014 i begin my effort for my queens!

The weather this year in Greece is very good, queens in some places was laying all over the year.

23-02-2014 i put the queen in jenter, next day i released her. After one day i opened to see if they left any egg in jenter, and unexpectedly i saw them!

I follow all the programm for queen rearing and now i have three queen cells in my three mating nucs. 2 apidea and one from wood.

I opened one queen cell on day 15 to see if where enough jelly bean on the bottomof the cell, there was enough but the queen was like day 14.

Today i will put again another queen in jenter to repeat the programm for more queen cells this time.