Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Brand new advise

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  kelly 
#1 ·
Haven't started yet, live in Texas just a few miles north of Houston. Is it too late to think of starting a hive this year ? Winters are generally mild compared to up north. Just need bees, have everything else except any idea of what the hech I'm doing. :shhhh:

#2 ·
Read...Google...You Tube...Read...Google...You Tube...and find a mentor...and read, and google some more! ;) We actually have friends in Spring, TX. Your name isn't Leroy, is it? :)

I don't think it's too late for you to start...but you know your winters better than I do. I think, like here, beekeeping is just about a year round adventure. Have you secured your protective gear yet? You are in the same type of territory as I am, and our bees can tend to be a bit more testy than other regions. Don't think you have to play "hero" and tend to your bees unprotected. Seriously. (seeing an unprotected beekeeper running like a screaming child from the bees is far less impressive than seeing a beekeeper well protected, being followed by a cloud of bees not giving a hoot!) :lpf:

Read...Google...Read...You Tube...Read...Google...You Tube...and find a mentor.

#3 ·
Because of the climate in your region it is possible to start a colony at this time. you may have to feed them but fortunately for you there are not many days thy cannot fly. one thing to remember is even though you have temperate climates I seem to recall that there is quite a spell during late December, January, through early march when there is not a lot of vegetation doing much in those parts. A dearth (when plants produce little) can stifle a colonies growth just as easily as cold. If you are prepared to feed and tend the colony. You can start one most any time. It is a good learning experience.

#5 ·
The best advise is absolutely find a mentor close to home, a good non-selfish mentor will show you the ropes and give you advise when you'll need it. Next best thing to do immediately is join a club. Most folks there will be newbies like you with a bit more experience and a few old-timers who like to talk bee's, and then there will be those who like to teach... A great mix of folks who all share something in common with the same goals! And a good place to find a hive for sale.

Good Luck to You! And Welcome to BeeSource!

#6 ·
Also as odd as it sounds, it really is easier to start with two hives instead of one. If you only have one hive and its struggling, there's really nothing you can do but wait and let them build up on their own. If you have two hives and one is struggling while one is going strong, you can move frames from the strong one to the weak one to help bolster it.

I started with one hive, and so far I seem to have pulled it off, but I would definitely recommend that the next guy start with two.

#8 ·
Or more, most will find themselves with more hives anyway. I also started with one, and wish I had started with multiples. I would say 2-4 is a great starting number. I also started with a complete hive in the late summer, which worked out well. Just know you are assuming the risk of them not making the winter (which is a much greater concern here).

Oh and by the way read, read and read some more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.