Thread: SHB in Nucs

Default SHB in Nucs

I have 2 Nucs siting beside 8 hives and they both have SHB in them . I have checked the hives and have not seen any yet only in the Nucs. I am a new bee keeper is this normal, I have screen boards on the 8 hives but solid board on the Nucs. Has anyone tried the roach traps on the out side of the hives I read that the SHB love them?

Default Re: SHB in Nucs

Yes SHB is normal. Don't let them get out of control. Hive beetles will be in week hives with the most fresh/nectar pollen. A strong hive will heard them into corners keep them at bay, very strong hives will harrass them out of the hive. You will usually find them in corners, on the inner cover, inbetween frames, in top bar slots (these slots are great for beetles). This is one reason why bees propolize all the cracks and crevices. I moving away from slotted bars.

I've never had an outbreak or SHB damage, knock on wood. This year I put in a few beetle plasters. I've caught a few, not worried about it. You can also put a water or oil-pan underneath the hive to monitor the amount of eggs that make it to larva then drop out of the hive to pupate in the soil.

Keeping hives strong and eliminating hiding spots is the best prevention.

Never tried roach traps.

Quote Originally Posted by Marlow F.W. View Post
    I have 2 Nucs siting beside 8 hives and they both have SHB in them . I have checked the hives and have not seen any yet only in the Nucs. I am a new bee keeper is this normal, I have screen boards on the 8 hives but solid board on the Nucs. Has anyone tried the roach traps on the out side of the hives I read that the SHB love them?
    I've never heard about using roach traps or ant traps, boy that would be great if it worked. Anybody every try that?

i just noticed a few beatles in a couple of my hives. looks like they came in thru the outer cover. saw a couple in the top feeders. one hive had about 3 or4 which the bees had herded into a corner. i put beatle blaster traps in all my hives yesterday. i'm gonna check them in a few days to see if i caught any.

In the short 2 months I've had bees I've killed over 100 shb. The bees I have seem more then prepared to handle them . It seems Florida is shb capital and the bees know it. I made sure the new box has no gaps. The bees can do the rest. I kill all I can every time I pop the top. I did make a couple of traps from the sign plastic. I couldn't do like fatbeeman with the lard because the heat melts it. I used a fostner bit and cut through just the top layer. I put roach bait inside and sealed it in. They seem to like it.

Gene

Gene

This is a completely untested idea that occurred to me while reading your post above about lard in fatbeeman's traps melting in the Florida heat - What about Crisco??

Tim H

Quote Originally Posted by TooFarGone View Post
    Gene

This is a completely untested idea that occurred to me while reading your post above about lard in fatbeeman's traps melting in the Florida heat - What about Crisco??

Tim H
    Crisco was the brand I tried . I made the traps then set them down for just a second ,which was a good thing, the grease started coming and making a mess. Glad I didn't try them. I tried them in the shade and they seemed ok but it gets hot here and I didn't want to risk it. Tomorrow ill take a look inside since moving them to the new box and see how they are doing.
    I placed the roach baited trap in the old hive spot and caught some beetles so I know they work. It's cool you can see them inside trough the clear top.
    Gene

I am in the FL Panhandle and yes we have SHB, I think they were developed here...
    I did four splits about a month ago and one Nuc got so infested with beetles it knocked the Nuc down to almost no bees. I installed two Beetle Blasters (traps) with vegetable oil in all the Nucs. I also had another Nuc get destroyed by Robbing from other bees, they killed all the bees in my Nuc and Robbed all the stores. Now the beetle infested Nuc is actually building back up. I froze the frames that had beetle larva on them and installed new frames. The traps are working and catching most of the beetles. Next I am adding a couple more frames of brood to give a boost of new life! Time will tell, I hope to baby this one back to life.
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet