I have been trying to check my hive every two weeks, but I'm wondering if it would be okay to not check it at all unless I think something is wrong. My bees always attach the comb to the side of the hive, and to get the bar out I have to cut it away. This REALLY upsets them, honey flows everywhere, and it makes me a nervous wreck! I feel like I'm destroying their home and wasting their honey just to have a look. They have built out about 14 bars, about four of solid honey and then the beginning of the brood nest, and that's about as far as I got on the last check. I saw the queen, didn't see any small hive beetles or mites, saw larvae in different stages, so I stopped and put it back together without ever getting into the main part of the brood nest at the front of the hive. The bees are so upset by this point that it's hard to put the bars back together without squishing a few, and then they have to spend the day cleaning up all the spilled honey. I'm also worried that, since it's over 100 just about every day here in Texas the last few weeks, that they are attaching to the sides to give the comb more support, and then I come along and cut it off! I really enjoy my bees and am perfectly content to watch them every day and not open the hive up very often at all, but I don't want to be neglectful. Any advice would be helpful!

Kim