Default Transferring from framed hive to top bar hive

How is the best way to transfer a hive from frame hive to top bar hive? Im planning to trasfer a russian nuc in the spring
    Last edited by roberto487; 08-29-2013 at 10:22 PM.

Default Re: Transferring from framed hive to top bar hive

I've never done it, but I'e read about it. From what i gather, the common way to do it is to litterally cut the frames and comb to fit into the TBH. you can either use the existing top of the frame if it works with your TBH, ot cut the comb out and rubber band it into the new top bars. I'm thinking of starting a top bar hive, or soemthing simialr next year. I make my own frames, and it's tedious work. I like the idea of a horizontal hive, but am undecided about which to go with. Obviously the TBH is far easier to make, but i like the idea of extracting instead of crush & Strain. I think ultimately I'll end up with a long lang style hive, but i think I'll make a TBH or two and maybe catch a swarm in them if I'm lucky. Best of luck to you, and keep us posted.

shake them into the top bar. do it early before the queen gets really ramped up. Or you can do the time consuming comb cutting and tying thing.

I ordered my topbar hive this spring from www.honeybeehabitat.com Their top bars fit a lang hive so I was able to put 5 of my bars in a Lang hive to get them to draw comb and then I moved them to my hive. I've not kept a Lang hive, but I'm loving this top-bar hive. You can see my bees progress at https://www.facebook.com/topbarbeehive

I did it once, and it was successful, although it was difficult. I took a frame shook the bees into the frame hive, and then cut out the comb, and used plastic zip ties to attach to the top bar. After I got all the combs zip tied to the top bar, I shook all the bees from the frame hive into the top bar hive. I did it in April and it is now one of my strongest hives. Have some wire snips handy, the comb might be wired and will need to be cut. If you mess up some comb, don t worry, the bees will fix it. Wire cutters, a sharp knife, and rubber bands or zip ties. Good luck!